Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

When you're at work, how much "work" do you do?

Taps

Ok, I'm at work for about 5 hrs/day. I do maybe 20 mins of actual labour during that time...and that's on a good day. Seriously, I do close to NOTHING day in and day out.

Fortunetly, I've reciently discovered that we have access from the terminals here, so I can at least screw around on the 'net. :)

Oh, I work(haha!) for a bank and make around $16/hr.

What about you guys?

My philosophy is that as long as you complete your designated tasks in a timely manner, then it is irrelevant how much time you spend screwing around. At my friend's old job, he did the work of 5 men in half the time. Suffice to say, he had unlimited smoke/"screw around on the web" breaks.

I honestly think that the whole pay-by-hour scheme is ridiculous and outdated. Take a grocery store cashier, for example. Suppose you're cashier A and cashier B is your annoying neighbor. Your line moves at 2 people per minute because you're so damn fast, yet cashier B's line moves at 1 person per 2 minutes because she's so damn slow and spends all the time talking. Can anyone please give me a logical reason as to why cashier B should be making the same as cashier A?

I just think that people should be paid according to their skill, qualifications, productivity, and speed - not a misleading number such as the amount of time they spend in a given place. I will even go so far as to say that this is the reason productivity is so low in so many industries: "Work fast? Why should I work fast if I'm ahead of schedule? Might as well take a breather and finish later... not like they're going to pay me more for finishing now."

Imagine the productivity of this country if employers switched to a "pay by Warik's criteria" scheme. Shit, worker productivity would increase by 1000% because people would get off their asses and think: "shit! unlike before, the more I work the more I get paid!!!!!!!!"

-Warik

i by no means want to influence anyone into joining the CF, but...

today i worked for 6 hours, during that time i loaded 8 CDs onto about 10 computers and played solitaire / minesweeper during the time it took to load.

i got paid $97.10 for that:D

the canadian forces compared to a normal job - twice the stress, four times the pay...you decide.

mattcanning99 said:
i by no means want to influence anyone into joining the CF, but...

today i worked for 6 hours, during that time i loaded 8 CDs onto about 10 computers and played solitaire / minesweeper during the time it took to load.

i got paid $97.10 for that:D

the canadian forces compared to a normal job - twice the stress, four times the pay...you decide.

They ripped you off, dude. Today I got paid $63 for loading 2 CDs into 1 computer. bwahahaha

-Warik

I work at a golf shop. I have all of you beat. I watch co ed cocksucker vol. 12 day in and day out. My boss is the coolest mofo alive. I close out the register and leave that bitch clocking out an hour later than when i left, because i should get paid to drive home.

Golfer18 said:
because i should get paid to drive home.

True - that is still some of your time that would not be spent if not for your job. It's only fair if they are paying you "by the hour," anyway! =)

You do charge them for the trip TO work as well, right?

-Warik

since I am in the blue collar side, about 75% of the time spent at work is is actual work. I am still trying to earn my ends here, but my last job I just got by as my time was ending because I learned all of the procedures of different areas and performed the work equivalent to at least 4-6 people. I have to definitely agree with warik's post about how people should get paid. fuck seniority. then again, people that have seniority DID bust some ass to get there right?

Top Bottom