Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

What was Reagan's Personal Impact on Your Life? Good or Bad?

Longhorn85

For me, his Presidency helped me to realize that I was a conservative. Although I was raised with conservative values, it was basically unthinkable for a black american to be a republican. When I left home to attend the University of Texas in 1979, I considered myself to be a democrat, which is what my parents are.

I voted for Carter in 1980 because I thought he deserved another shot and I thought he was a good man. After Reagan became president, I was disapointed, but had an open mind. I liked his leadership style and admired his strength. I eventually realized that all the hype I had heard was likely wrong (war monger, racist, hated the poor, etc).

Then came the air traffic controllers strike, and the way he handled that (fired them all).

Then came the tax cuts.

Then came the rebuilding of the military.

Then came the rise of Colin Powell.

Then came the strength in the face of the USSR, and the big back-down.

Then came the appointment of Sandra Day O'Connor.

Then came the signing of the MLK holiday.

His speeches: The Challenger, Tear Down this wall, etc.

His humorous one-liners in debates vs Carter and Mondale.

And yes, his support of the Contras, his unapologetic pro-life stance.

The invasion of Grenada.

The placing of mid-range missiles in Germany vs liberal protest at home and abroad (it along with SDI broke the back of the USSR)

That was enough to make me come out of the closet as a black republican and I haven't looked back since.

Thanks RR :)

So we have RR to thank for you?!! j/k dude

I thought Reagan was decent, I didn't agree with some of his actions/beliefs but had no real problem with him.

I was 9 when he left office, so I don't remember too much about him, but I am thankful that I don't live in a nuclear fallout wasteland, so he gets props for that.

being that i wasnt a defense contrator, cia agent, drug dealer, or a member of the top %1, i have to say the fucker was the second worst president of out modern times behind W.

im not happy hes dead, but i sure as hell am not sad.

I was living in San Francisco when he was governor.
He slashed the mental health budget, and sudden;ly there were crazy people living on park benches all over the place.
Later as president he presided over the worst economic policies, spending lots of money on defence, but not raising taxes to pay for it, and inflating the money suppl;y to cover the difference. As money devalued, the price of buying a house exploded. The house in San Francisco I was renting went from $250,000 to $700,000. Goodby any chance of buying a house! Still later as San Francisco was being wracked by the onslaught of a new disease nobody understood, we found that Regan refused funding for research, but even refused to even say the word AIDS.
Good riddance.

I am glad to hear that some of the Reagan haters sound like today's Bush haters. Especially encouraged that nihil even says W is worse. I remember how Reagan was villified by liberals on film, on MTV, in the newspapers and magazines, on Saturday night live. It was probably worse than W today. I also feel that W is today's Reagan, and I hope his conservative legacy is just as powerful.

He and nancy made astrology a main stream activity. They provided great fodder for SNL skits.

I liked how his wife whipped their children with clotheshangers.

NihilistIllusion said:
i think long wants to go on the downlow with W lmfao

LOL, I didn't even know what that meant until I saw a special on it about 2 weeks ago. I would love to play a round of golf and have a beer with him though. (make that a coke)

Top Bottom