Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Want to become a personal trainer

brose005

Hey Guys,

I'm such a fan of the gym and not so much a fan of my office I am considering a career change into personal training. Anybody have any tips, suggestions, etc. on how to get started, how to be successful, etc?

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Ok, I guess I have to be a little more specific with my questions to warrant a response. :sulk:

I have been doing more research today and my focus has been on determining which personal trainer certification I should apply for. This seems like a good place to start. I have been reading around as to which are the best personal trainer certifications such as ptpioneer.com/best-personal-trainer-certification-guide which ranks ACE and NASM at the top. They seem to be highly recognized and NCAA accredited. Anyone have any experience with one of these?

Do you recommend going with one over the other? Or neither?

Thanks in advance for you help.

Best,
Ben

keep in mind you aren't going to make much money at first, especially if you work at a franchise gym. the key in my mind to being a great personal trainer is LOOKING the role first off. none of the personal trainers at my gym even look like they lift, and as a salesman I do not see how they are going to be able to gain and retain clients. so look the part first and foremost.

I know musky is a certified PT, i'm sure he will chime in soon to give you some advice on what he recommends

Ok, great. Thanks stevesmi for setting my expectations and I agree, there are very few trainers that look very fit at my gym as well. Interesting phenomenom. It really should come down to practice what you preach but I see them with plenty of clients. Maybe they are better at relating to these clients? Who knows.

I will look out for Musky's response.

Thanks again!

Personal training is a VERY hard business. Fitness is something everyone wants but no one wants to pay for. People think that they are an expert after reading a men's health magazine.

It's very easy to get burnt out doing one on one personal training. Generally, the people who hire a personal trainer are the people who are not self motivated. It's over payed baby sitting in a sense.

My advice for you would be to keep your day job. Do the personal training as a hobby part time. You won't need the money that way and can pick and choose clients.

As for what PT certification to get - get whatever is cheapest. The gyms don't care what certification you have. They just need the certification for legal reasons so they can insure you.

It is a very tough business. I completely understand wanting to do something you enjoy. That really should be everyones goal.

@muskate is quite a successful personal trainer, so I am sure that he will be able to give you the best advice in this regard. As long as you like it and enjoy it, you will make it through.

I know this not a real moneymaker but it is more for general happiness and lifestyle. I like being in the gym. I love the atmosphere. If I could be in there all day, that would be great!!

Thanks for all the advice guys. Much appreciated

I'll be sure to keep you posted as things progress. If anything else comes to mind that you wish you had known in the beginning, please let me know.

Top Bottom