Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Walking on Dead Fish

S

Spartacus

qzek3k.jpg

A new documentary by first-time director Franklin Martin follows the East Saint John high school football team of LaPlace, La., through its extraordinary 2005 season. A small Cajun town just outside New Orleans, LaPlace became a refuge for 20,000 displaced evacuees after Hurricane Katrina. Its high school system took in 1,700 displaced students, 500 of whom landed at East St. John. With personal ties to New Orleans, Martin had been following the disaster from his home in Los Angeles, but first heard about the East St. John football team while on a flight to New York for a 9/11 memorial.

http://mixonline.com/post/features/audio_walking_dead_fish/

Martin recalls. “I read an article about this little high school coming up against its arch rival and how they had to integrate all these displaced players.”

Six months of shooting followed, with only Martin and his camera taking initial footage and the camera's built-in omnidirectional mic capturing audio. “I made the decision to do this guerrilla-style because of the circumstances down there,” Martin explains. “I wanted to become close to my subjects and knew I could do that better alone, plus there was nowhere for me, let alone a crew, to stay.” He settled at a motel in West Baton Rouge and drove the 170 miles round-trip to and from East St. John High every day, sometimes more than once.

The football team took on 20 displaced players from 20 different high schools, and the unique assimilation triggered remarkable results in that '05 season.

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1141370/index.htm

THREE YEARS after Hurricane Katrina ravaged the Gulf Coast, Terry Bradshaw (right) and Reggie Bush have helped produce Walking on Dead Fish, a documentary about the effect Katrina had on East St. John, a small high school in La Place, La. The film—which premiered in nearby New Orleans and Los Angeles but doesn't yet have a distribution deal—was written and directed by Franklin Martin, a former basketball player at Hofstra. Bush, who donated $20,000 worth of football equipment to East St. John, and Bradshaw, who narrates the movie, helped finance the film. "The only thing that could stop football in the South was a hurricane, and even then [the storm] ended up pulling the communities together," says Bradshaw. "If you don't shed a tear, you're not right."

THANKS SPART!!! I love movies like this. I didn't see any release dates for it though... sometime this year maybe?

Top Bottom