Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Using Lifting Straps

M

MadCow1

I posted this to another board but I think some here could benefit as well.

When using straps for lifts -
1) Only wrap the strap around the bar once and tighten it down

Note: grip is not improved by multiple wraps - if this is a problem you aren't using them correctly

Reason: If you get hurt holding the weight or a strap breaks you will be able to drop it when your hands release. If you wrap more than once one of two things will happen

1) They may release in an inconsistent manner torquing an already hurt body (shoulder, back, etc..) or causing injury during the torque
2) They will not release and drive your already injured body into the ground on top of the weight.

This is not a joke. I always did this for years when a partner mentioned it to me. About a year ago I suffered a back injury during a lift. The bar released properly as my body gave out/went into mild shock. The injury may have been far worse had the bar dragged me crookedly to the ground as my strength suddenly gave out. I am 100% now (3-5 months of taking it easy) but I doubt I would have been so lucky without following that advice.

This is a good habit to start and hopefully you will never need it.

Happy/Safe Lifting

:)

Just my 2 cents... when I use wraps Im not trying to increase my grip but usually work my back muscles..I do multiple wraps and they will let go if I open my hand..just thought I'd through that out here

I agree with thefantom here. I too, use multiple wraps and as soon as I release my grip..... they unwrap very quickly

grips ar great for adding weight to pulling exercises and shrugs, but if your forarms are lagging, you should toss the straps

I agree, they come undone even when they are wrapped more than once.

I'd also add that there is only one way you should wear them as well. If you imagine the strap when not worn makes a letter 'P' shape, the straight edge of the P should be on the side of your palm that the thumb is, not the small finger. That way the bar is pulled from a center line between the thumb and first finger, rather than the two smallest finger. Thus increasing grip. Try it both ways and you will see what I mean.

All valid concerns about straps.

And yes - multiple wraps can release very nicely. I think that if you do some testing (hold over 300 lbs and release from waist level - yes it's a huge boom but this is what will happen during an accident. Use bumper plates if you have access) you'll find the release is not as conisistent as one finds when you rack a bar or return to the floor and then release your grip.

However, why even take this chance? No benefits to multiple wraps around the bar. You are taking a potentially serious chance for no reason.

I used to wrap it around a couple times too but I just don't believe that an easy to correct habit that adds nothing is worth perpetuating if there's increased chance of injury. I did this for almost 10 years before I really needed it and let me say that I couldn't be happier.

Top Bottom