Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

US army suicides hit record high

čančan

The rate of suicides among soldiers in the US army has risen to a record level for the second year in a row.
The army said there were 128 confirmed suicides in 2008, with a further 15 deaths still under investigation.
Military officials said they did not know why the number has kept increasing but that the stress of conflicts overseas had had a significant impact.
The army has said it is committed to addressing the issue and has introduced training to raise awareness.
"This is a challenge of the highest order for us," said US Army Secretary Pete Geren.
"Why do the numbers keep going up? We cannot tell you. But we can tell you that across the army, we're committed to doing everything we can to address the problem."
Conflict stress
About 35% of the suicides were of soldiers who had never been deployed, while 30% were soldiers who were on active service - three quarters of them on their first tour of duty.
Another 35% took place after deployment, mostly more than a year after the soldier had returned home.
The rise means that the military suicide rate is proportionally higher than the rate among American civilians for the first time.
General Peter Chiarelli, vice chief of the army, said he had "no doubt" that the stress of the ongoing conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan was a factor in the rising suicide rates.
He said that long tours of duty and the high pressure of being in combat zones was putting a strain on service personnel and their families.
The US military said it has introduced training to make soldiers more aware of suicidal behaviour in themselves and others, and to reduce the stigma of seeking help.
It has also launched a long-term research programme into the issue, in conjunction with the National Institute of Mental Health.

whats weird is that its half of what the russian army is.

BBC NEWS | Europe | Russia army suicides cause alarm

Russia army suicides cause alarm

Conditions are notoriously harsh for new recruits in the Russian army
Almost an entire battalion of Russian soldiers committed suicide last year, the country's chief military prosecutor has said.
A total of 341 military personnel killed themselves in 2007, a reduction of 15% on the previous year.
But Sergei Fridinsky said the numbers were worrying and called for a national strategy to prepare men for service.
Bullying, often extremely violent, is rife in the army and is the most common reason for suicide.
"Almost a battalion of military servicemen - 341 people - were irrevocably lost in the past year as a result of suicide," Mr Fridinsky said.
The BBC's Russia analyst, Steven Eke, says dedovshchina - literally, rule of the elders, a culturally specific, often very violent, form of bullying, is cited as the most frequent trigger for young soldiers taking their own lives.
Conditions of military service - compulsory for one year for Russian men - are so harsh that many parents and young men offer bribes to avoid getting conscripted.
Yet Mr Fridinsky said that about half of the suicides were among professional, contract-based soldiers, who would not face this kind of bullying.
He suggested that Russia use the experience of the US in Iraq and Afghanistan to help their troops deal with the psychological trauma of combat.

weird. i got like near 15 friends in iraq. and one of my best friends saw a dude shoot himself in the head with a gun already.

my dad was in vietnam and saw all that. its gotta be rough.

man alive, how do you go back to a normal life after that... fucked up. even sitting in restuarant would seem surreal after that.

my cousin was in combat in croatia and they came up to a burned up enemy tank and popped the hatch and looked inside, and inside there were 3 soldiers holding hands in a circle.. burned to death.

i can relate because of some of my dads stories (he was a war hero.) but he wouldnt want me to discuss any of them. so i respect his wishes. otherwise i would share them with you.

One thing to look at is the rate of suicides overall, I will bet you they have gone up overall most likely due to econimic reasons above all else.

Military suicide rates are very close to general populatoin suicide rates. Which is what's amazing and what the story should be about.

Considering military folks spend years being treated like shit, told they're nothing more than manure, paid almost nothing, and when they get injured and no use to the government, thrown away - it's amazing it isn't higher. Civilians don't go through that - if anything, military people are tough as nails considering how much shit they go and see, and still keep on ticking. Most suicide risks are in boot camp - after that - they're nothing different than what's out in the real world.

r

Top Bottom