Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

UK man may have 'mystery illness'

D

DcupSheepNipples

Sorry English elight members! Only a few more continents and this illness will have spread around the world swiftly! Good news maybe is that it may not be a influenza! Fingers Crossed!

Health authorities around the world are struggling to contain a lethal form of pneumonia as air travellers spread it across three continents.
A British man returning from Hong Kong has been admitted to hospital with a suspected case - the UK's first.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) issued a rare emergency warning over the weekend, declaring the sickness "a worldwide health threat", and saying that cases had been reported on three continents.

England's Chief Medical Officer, Professor Liam Donaldson, told the BBC that the man had been admitted to hospital after falling ill after coming back from Hong Kong.

He said: "This is something we are viewing very seriously.

"We are not sure whether the case is linked but we are treating it as a possible link".

So far, there have been four deaths related to the pneumonia - and another five in an outbreak of a similar infection in a province of China, although the two have not yet been definitively linked.

In total nearly 200 people are believed to have been infected world-wide in the last week alone.

If it was influenza, I expect we would have heard this by now. That's certainly rather reassuring

Professor John Oxford, Queen Mary's College London

Q&A: Mystery illness
The Prime Minister of New Zealand, Helen Clark, told a news conference that WHO experts believed it might rival "Spanish flu" in 1918 - which killed at least 20 million and possibly double that number.

However, an expert from the WHO played down fears.

Pascale Brudon said: "Today we don't know enough about the outbreak to be able to say that. I would be less alarmed than that."

Good news

A British expert says that it is unlikely that the illness is flu - the most frightening scenario for experts.

Professor John Oxford, a world-leading figure in virology, based at Queen Mary's College in London said that the fact that a culprit had not yet been identified was good news.

He said: "If it was influenza, I expect we would have heard this by now. That's certainly rather reassuring.

"It doesn't look like a 'zing-dinger'.

"This has been smouldering around the Far East for some time - it's not as if it has just exploded.

"I wouldn't get too worried about this."

The WHO warned travellers and airport staff to be on the look-out for signs of the condition, known as Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome.

Its symptoms include high fever and breathing difficulties, and it has an incubation period of two to seven days.

Crossing continents

On Sunday, the WHO said two deaths had been reported in Canada. The two are thought to be a mother and child returning from Hong Kong, where one victim died last week and 83 people have already been taken ill.

Other cases have been reported in Vietnam, where a nurse died on Sunday and at least 40 other medical workers are infected.

In Germany a doctor suspected of having caught the virus whilst in Singapore is currently in quarantine.

There are also reports of suspected cases of the disease in Switzerland, Australia, Slovenia, Taiwan, Thailand, China and the Philippines.

"Until we can get a grip on it, I don't see how it will slow down," said WHO spokesman Dick Thompson.

Travel advisory

The flu is thought to be highly contagious
The outbreak is thought to have begun in the Vietnamese capital Hanoi last month, after an American businessman travelling from Shanghai infected hospital workers before himself dying of the disease.

The Vietnamese nurse who died on Sunday is thought to have given him treatment during his time in Hanoi.

As many as 40 others in Hanoi are thought to be infected.

David Heyman, the WHO director of communicable diseases, told the BBC said that progress in isolating the cause of the disease was hampered by ignorance about the illness.

"There is no specific antibiotic or anti-viral drug that we can yet recommend," he said.

China link

The East Asian region is the worst affected by the disease.

As well as the cases reported in Hong Kong and Vietnam, authorities in Taiwan and Singapore have reported cases of the disease.

No figures are available yet from China, but the WHO said the flu-like symptoms of the disease were similar to those of a sickness in the southern province of Guangdong last month which infected 305 people, killing five of them.

"All we can tell you right now is that the disease situation here has been placed well under control," a Chinese government spokeswoman said on Monday.

Japan has sent a team to Vietnam to help investigate the cause of the outbreak.

The WHO has asked airlines to turn away passengers who appear to be sick.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2856163.stm

I think this disease is bacterial and can be treated using antibiotics - assuming the docs know what you have....

On the talk shows this morning, they were saying it is NOT responding to antibiotics, which makes it more likely to be a virus.

OH SHIT!!!!! :(

they have no treatment for it, john937 is right in that it is probably viral, though not necessarily, antibiotics dont work against some resistant bacteria too

they use the word 'flu' in that text an awful lot given its supposedly not flu....i fucking hope its not airborne or we;re fucked! i read that and wonder whether the 'dont worry' is just panic quelling or real/

i think they should get all the people who have the disease is one area and contain it. fucking oriental countries dont have the infrastructure to deal with this shit :mad: good reason to drop some nukes too....

shitty time to be a health worker :(

p.s. anyone know the fatality rates? is it actually being fought off in some people or is it killing them all?

Top Bottom