Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Sony: "We can't compete with Xbox's spending"

hanselthecaretaker

High End Bro
Platinum
Friday 10-Sep-2010 10:07 AM
Platform holder says it will "never outspend" Xbox

Sony has cheekily admitted that it will never be able - or perhaps have the inclination - to spend the same amount on pushing PlayStation as Microsoft does on Xbox.

The news comes as MS launches its most expensive ever marketing campaign for a single game with Halo: Reach.

Meanwhile, Sony's UK team is set to splash out £750,000 on marketing PlayStation Move - hardly small change.

However, when asked if Sony could match Microsoft's megabucks Kinect promotional machine in a new interview, Peter Dille - senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment America - said:

"I don't think we'll ever outspend Microsoft."

That might be true - but it doesn't stop your marketing being particularly cheeky, does it Peter?

How much do you reckon million-dollar advertising affects you, readers?

News: Sony: We can't compete with Xbox's spending - ComputerAndVideoGames.com

That pretty much sums up why Xbox 360's exclusives sell more and are more popular than PS3's overall. One puts the majority of their money into marketing them, the other into developing them. I for one know which I'd rather spend my money on.

they could

they just won't.

ROI...very simple concept.

xbox loses a shit ton of money for microsoft. their revenue stream doesn't justify their marketing budget

they could

they just won't.

ROI...very simple concept.

xbox loses a shit ton of money for microsoft. their revenue stream doesn't justify their marketing budget

Actually I think they are making money now, because they charge people to play online-

Microsoft Xbox division posts $165 million Q3 profit thanks to Xbox Live revenue - Neoseeker News Article

If they have to do that to stay in the black then they shouldn't be in the console business at all. Microsoft and Xbox kinda pisses me off to be honest. I wish they'd stick to PC software. They'd crush Sony and Nintendo combined if they put half the effort/money into fortifying Games For Windows as they do Xbox. They have the biggest install base by at least a tenfold margin and don't even give a fuck. They made Xbox with the intent of "crushing Sony", and yeah that was an actual quote from MS's PR guy from an interview last year. It's funny because they already lost their one year lead in every territory besides NA, despite the fact the PS3 was expensive as hell and had no games.

The bottom line is they will always run out of steam as long as Sony has a whole stable full of more diverse and talented in-house developers, as well as a better overall business strategy. It means something when one of PC gaming's biggest names (and PS3's former biggest critic) does a 180-

Gabe Newell on the "train wreck" of working with Xbox Live , Half-Life 2 PC News | GamesRadar

If Sony pulls their head out of their asses and finally listens to their customers and developers they can really catch up and maybe surpass M$.

One thing being with the "Move" hardware coming out...if they go back to their roots and cater to the more hardcore gamers and not copy Nintendo's library of garbage.

If Sony pulls their head out of their asses and finally listens to their customers and developers they can really catch up and maybe surpass M$.

One thing being with the "Move" hardware coming out...if they go back to their roots and cater to the more hardcore gamers and not copy Nintendo's library of garbage.

Yeah the launch lineup of Move is shovelware at best. The good thing is it can be used for any game, hardcore or casual. I think I'll wait and see what people say about it for shooters.

Yeah the launch lineup of Move is shovelware at best. The good thing is it can be used for any game, hardcore or casual. I think I'll wait and see what people say about it for shooters.

Yep, I can't see M$'s "Kinnect" being used for anything other than "party games". No chance of it being used for any shooters.

At least "Move" has buttons.

I just want Gears of War 3 to kick some fuckin ass, that is all.

I just want Gears of War 3 to kick some fuckin ass, that is all.

I'm sure it will. That's about all that would tempt me in the least to get a 360.

Same with Halo, I'm getting sick of the sequels. I get bored with spending $60+ on a sequel that's basically the same game with a few added levels or weapons.

Top Bottom