Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Social Anxiety [how to cure]?

Hey guys. This is actually a serious post wondering if anyones had similar experiences. I was always a shy guy...like, I don't like to talk a lot b/c I think people are getting sick of me talking. I also don't like to call people because I fear that they are busy, etc.

I didn't even think that this was "Social Anxiety" until yesterday. I was giving a routine presentation in history when all of a sudden my breathing almost stopped, my heart started beating out of control, and my face turned bright red for 15 minutes. It was prolly the most embaressing thing ever. So I looked online at social anxiety and I found a bunch of sites listing symptoms...

I'd say I have 80-90% of em.

I was wondering, what's the best way to attack this? I don't really want to do "therapy" or stuff like that, so I'm thinking some kind of med? The one I'm looking at right now is rated 96/100 by Consumer Health Digest and is their best anxiety med...it's a non-prescrip one called "Anxietol 7". I think this will help...

anyone else have similar experiences and want to share how they got over it? Thanks a bunch

CrazyRussian said:
I was wondering, what's the best way to attack this? I don't really want to do "therapy" or stuff like that, so I'm thinking some kind of med? The one I'm looking at right now is rated 96/100 by Consumer Health Digest and is their best anxiety med...it's a non-prescrip one called "Anxietol 7". I think this will help...

anyone else have similar experiences and want to share how they got over it? Thanks a bunch

Bro you are not alone. Referring to a similar thread that was recently discussed:

http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4740682#post4740682

I really think that a combination of medication and therapy will yeild the most chance of curing or stabilizing your condition. I'm repeating myself here but Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) is one of the most effective form of psychological therapy for disorders such as agoraphobia by means of targeting the cognitive processes, thus enabling a new perception and thinking mechanism to evolved in a rational manner.

CBT treats psychological/emotional disorders by changing negative patterns of thought. It is now internationally established as a key method of helping overcome longstanding conditions such as panic attacks, anxiety, depression, gambling, addiction through to some eating disorders.

Don't just 100% rely on medications, the road to success greatly depends on your input, cognitive styles (thinking styles), behaviour responses which can all be greatly supplemented by means of cogntive therapy.

Yeah, I've read up on CBT. An thanks for a link to that thread, I read the whole thing.

The one reservation I have is doing the group SAS Therapy thing...that'd seem kinda wierd. Hopefully (as one person in the thread u linked to did) I can overcome it by just willing myself to become more social. We'll see...

plus the closest CBT certified dude is like a 40 minute drive for me, and I don't want to ask my parents to drive me there for obvious reasons

CrazyRussian said:
Yeah, I've read up on CBT. An thanks for a link to that thread, I read the whole thing.

The one reservation I have is doing the group SAS Therapy thing...that'd seem kinda wierd. Hopefully (as one person in the thread u linked to did) I can overcome it by just willing myself to become more social. We'll see...

plus the closest CBT certified dude is like a 40 minute drive for me, and I don't want to ask my parents to drive me there for obvious reasons

"To become more social" is a process that's going to require some stabilility from your anxiety and an assurance in the sense of security that you'll be ok.
Now that's going to require some practice and a gradual exposure to people in social settings is important, hence group therapy may seemed weird initally but an appropriate start for you under a supervised framework with many others that are affected just as you are.

Your parents has no idea about this?

Growth&Courage said:
"To become more social" is a process that's going to require some stabilility from your anxiety and an assurance in the sense of security that you'll be ok.
Now that's going to require some practice and a gradual exposure to people in social settings is important, hence group therapy may seemed weird initally but an appropriate start for you under a supervised framework with many others that are affected just as you are.

Your parents has no idea about this?

My parents have no idea that I have this "disorder"...they are aware that I'm shy, but they (and I) would never think that it was because of a medical reason. I'm gonna ask my mom about this tommorow, and ask her to maybe take me to a CGT guy a few blocks down.

I used to be MUCH more shy and have MUCH more anxiety. Over the years I've made a concious effort to be more social and it has worked to some extent. I can introduce myself to people, talk to people, make presentations in front of groups. But, I'm just too self-conscious about what I say in front of ppl in fear that ppl will think negatively of me for it. TFor example, I fear phoning people b/c I might be interupting them. Another example: I fear talking a lot, b/c I think ppl get tired of me talking. That's what I need to work on. Interstingly, when I talk to ppl who I consider "below myself" (it sounds bad to say this, but it's a reality), I have none of these reservations. I can blab and blab for hours, I can swear, say whatever I want, etc. I think this is b/c I don't care what they think of me. If I could adapt this kind of attitude towards everybody ELSE in my life, I'd be set. I know this for sure. The only problem is: how to go aobut doing this.

CrazyRussian said:
Interstingly, when I talk to ppl who I consider "below myself" (it sounds bad to say this, but it's a reality), I have none of these reservations. I can blab and blab for hours, I can swear, say whatever I want, etc. I think this is b/c I don't care what they think of me. If I could adapt this kind of attitude towards everybody ELSE in my life, I'd be set. I know this for sure. The only problem is: how to go aobut doing this.

Nobody is below you or above you. That's how I feel. Maybe you can start there. But then again, maybe you need to clear up your terms when you say somebody is below you. Do you mean like talking to 5 year old children or something?

fistfullofsteel said:
Nobody is below you or above you. That's how I feel. Maybe you can start there. But then again, maybe you need to clear up your terms when you say somebody is below you. Do you mean like talking to 5 year old children or something?

I knew this would be misunderstood...I realize I am not above or below anyone, and thats a bad thing to say.

Your example of talking to children would work. By "people below me" I meant people I feel I don't have to impress. When you talk to a 6 year old kid, you dont have to worry about looking cool, hip, relaxed, friendly. However when you're talking to a peer of the same age, these are all things you have to worry about.

lorazapam is actually a wonderful otion it calms u down.. a slight sedative effect..

Medication is not a long term answer.. your young.. it's good that you have identified that you do have a problem.. try not to let it interfer in your life and don't stop it from letting you do things you want to do.

I don't have it.. but my sister has a small case of it and even gets me to make phone calls for her and ask for items in stores..

CanadianCutie said:
try not to let it interfer in your life and don't stop it from letting you do things you want to do.

That's the problem - it does. It's almost like people with phobias. They're aware that theyre scared of cheese, and when they think about it, they know shouldn't be... but they just ARE. That's kinda how I am with this whole thing. I know that I shouldn't be so concerned with all of this trivial stuff that I am concerned with..but I am.

BTW, I do the exact same thing as your sister. "Hey dude can u ask that guy for a pencil" instead of "hey can I borrow your pencil"...gah.

EDIT = There is at least some good coming outa this... I used to look at outgoing ppl and say "god, I wonder what they have that makes them that outgoing. It sure aint looks ;). " At least now, I know what it is more or less, so I can now target specific goals instead of just saying "uh..be friendlier"

Last edited:
Top Bottom