Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

A serious question for those in the Information Systems field

big dog

I will be graduating in a year with a major in Mang and a minor in Mang Info Systems.

Im beginning to get a little nervous about what jobs may be available for me.

Just a year ago, I became interested in computers. I never had any experience with them( I just bought my first PC about a 6 months ago)

I am a extremely smart guy who picks up new things pretty well. I decided to get a minor in Info Systems and figured that they would teach me what I needed to know and I would pick up the info pretty well. Last semester I took my First MIS class and made an A. This semesters I am taking Visual Basic and DSS. Next semester I will probably be taking Database Mang using Oracle, Peoplesoft, and Website Manganment or Telecommunications.

I realize these classes will familiarize me with these Technologies, but will not come CLOSE to making me technical expert.

My question is with no experience or technical expertise will I be able to find a company that is willing to train me in what they need me to do?

I have a 3.7 GPA and have made one B in the last Six Semesters. Will this help my chances?

Should I go directly back to school and try to get a Masters?

Thanks for the help

Welcome brother...
Try to find a Large companies IT division and find one that has a collage recruitment program.
I work for a huge DOD contractor in it's IT division and we have a killer ISLDP (IS Leadership Development Program) for new collage grads.
Most large companies will have a similar program.
They expect you to have good basic skills and they will have you go through a rotation of working in different dept's to learn what you need to know..
I think that would be your best path.. Also most will have tuition re-inbursement so if you want to get a masters you can do it at night on their dollar.

again Welcome..

The Big Boys

GO with a big firm, like these:

Unisys
Price Waterhouse Coopers
IBM Consulting Services Division

They LOVE recruiting the newbies!

You should start looking now and try and find a company in the area where you can work part time till you graduate. If you can't do that then I would recommend finding an internship and going back for the masters. If you have a business plan or venture you want to start in the near future then do the ground work now.

I live in New Orleans, the crack cocaine dealer market is flooded with qualified employees.....

I dont have a degree, just certs. (ccnp + security spec, mcse, a+) You will be fine with a degree, but I would get some certs as well.. I decided to go the other way, with attaining the certs first and then the degree. Good luck

Top Bottom