Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Serious question for serious times

Lestat

MVP
EF VIP
Its been a heavy couple of days so far, most if you know the reason why. I mean heavy on EF.

It also highlighted something that I noticed now more than ever, and to be honest I wouldn't have ever noticed this 10 years ago and I certainly would have been part of it.

The problem I mention is the rampant use of homophobic and anti homosexual references. It seems like every post is calling someone a 'fgt' maybe I am getting old, but it isn't funny anymore, its the opposite, it isn't right. To me its the same as calling people a 'Ngr' because you think its fun and its something we can use to deride people.

I know why we do it, because I used to do it. In my teens when I wanted to say something was stupid, I said "that is gay" or "you are so gay" When someone said their favorite color was pink, I'd say "what a fag!" it was very common. I didn't know any better.

Now I do, and I'd like to say that we can do better at EF. I am a little surprised that sort of divisive language is still tolerated on EF or hasn't been regulated to a separate forum. We moved out all the sex talk to between the sheets, we moved out the religious and political talk, why not move out all the homophobic talk as well? Better yet, why not get rid of it altogether. It really isn't that funny, and even if it was, can't we find a more creative, or smarter way to get the same laughs? If not, you need to try harder.

Its been a heavy couple of days so far, most if you know the reason why. I mean heavy on EF.

It also highlighted something that I noticed now more than ever, and to be honest I wouldn't have ever noticed this 10 years ago and I certainly would have been part of it.

The problem I mention is the rampant use of homophobic and anti homosexual references. It seems like every post is calling someone a 'fgt' maybe I am getting old, but it isn't funny anymore, its the opposite, it isn't right. To me its the same as calling people a 'Ngr' because you think its fun and its something we can use to deride people.

I know why we do it, because I used to do it. In my teens when I wanted to say something was stupid, I said "that is gay" or "you are so gay" When someone said their favorite color was pink, I'd say "what a fag!" it was very common. I didn't know any better.

Now I do, and I'd like to say that we can do better at EF. I am a little surprised that sort of divisive language is still tolerated on EF or hasn't been regulated to a separate forum. We moved out all the sex talk to between the sheets, we moved out the religious and political talk, why not move out all the homophobic talk as well? Better yet, why not get rid of it altogether. It really isn't that funny, and even if it was, can't we find a more creative, or smarter way to get the same laughs? If not, you need to try harder.

valid point bro

guess you'll be changing your pork swords location now

I also find your cross sig comment highly offensive

I could defend that one all day, because mainly, its not about anyone or anything specific, its a quote from a song lyric. Having said that, I changed it. For one, I hadn't looked at my signature for years and it is a little long as it is. And second, assuming it really was offensive to you, why not change it? My intent was not to offend you or anyone else with it, it was more to incorporate lyrics from my favorite band into my posts.

My location is not meant to be offensive or make fun of homosexuals. If it is wrong, I had no problem changing it. The idea behind that is that Wootoom and I are so close, such good friends, that it wouldn't be out of the question to touch peens. Of course even though we are friends, we'd still never do that, because hey, that's gay, and we're not gay, but that was the point behind it.

Wootoom is a great person and I simply wanted to find a fun way to incorporate him into my posts. You have a point though, that I could, and should be more creative with it. I am thinking about what to change it to now.

I could defend that one all day, because mainly, its not about anyone or anything specific, its a quote from a song lyric. Having said that, I changed it. For one, I hadn't looked at my signature for years and it is a little long as it is. And second, assuming it really was offensive to you, why not change it? My intent was not to offend you or anyone else with it, it was more to incorporate lyrics from my favorite band into my posts.

My location is not meant to be offensive or make fun of homosexuals. If it is wrong, I had no problem changing it. The idea behind that is that Wootoom and I are so close, such good friends, that it wouldn't be out of the question to touch peens. Of course even though we are friends, we'd still never do that, because hey, that's gay, and we're not gay, but that was the point behind it.

Wootoom is a great person and I simply wanted to find a fun way to incorporate him into my posts. You have a point though, that I could, and should be more creative with it. I am thinking about what to change it to now.

I really wasn't offended.

I don't think anything on a chat forum could offend me personally.

but I see the point of your original poast and will try to tone it down accordingly

Newbies and/or spammers are still fair game though :chainsaw::strider36:strider36:strider36:destroy:

I'm not surprised lol this forum is unmoderated besides woot. We moderate ourselves.

It used to make me a little uncomfortable but now since the rest of the world is so PC (and there aren't many people here to actually be offended) and since I know most no one here means to actually offend anyone I just e-roll my eyes.

this is the island of misfit toys...sensitivity isn't a real hot commodity around here.

additionally, this place is truly all-but-dead, due in large part to management's attempts to make a roid website "legitimate".

There is still a community here, and if you look at the posts you see a lot of things that would likely turn others away. I am all for newbie hazing, and I got no qualms with being nasty to spammers, but why use homophobic slurs to do it? Plenty of other creative ways to get your points across.

But like I said, I've been one of the worst offenders of this throughout my life, so I completely understand where it comes from. When I was calling my friend a "fag" I didn't mean anything negative to gays, it just so happened that because of the culture at the time, that was one of the worst things you could say to someone. That is what needs to change, I'm embarrassed for myself. Better late than never though, we're always growing and (hopefully) improving.

There is still a community here, and if you look at the posts you see a lot of things that would likely turn others away. I am all for newbie hazing, and I got no qualms with being nasty to spammers, but why use homophobic slurs to do it? Plenty of other creative ways to get your points across.

But like I said, I've been one of the worst offenders of this throughout my life, so I completely understand where it comes from. When I was calling my friend a "fag" I didn't mean anything negative to gays, it just so happened that because of the culture at the time, that was one of the worst things you could say to someone. That is what needs to change, I'm embarrassed for myself. Better late than never though, we're always growing and (hopefully) improving.

i guess all i'm thinking is that it's a friggin' steroid board...and if you come to a website that on it's very surface promotes illegal activities and you expect to find a warm-soft-thoughtful environment? then you probably believe in unicorns too.

part of the appeal of this place and others like it is that you can act a fool without any real fear of retribution...and for the most part, it's just shits-n-giggles.

besides, this friggin' place is death-rattling at this point anyway...

Top Bottom