Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Self employed?

Being self employed is good if you truly understand you ARE your business. You pretty much have to live, sleep and breathe your business (unless you have alot of the responsibilities delegated, and even then there are certain executive functions you always must perform to keep the business running smoothly)

It depends on the field, really.

You obviously have to be comfortable enough to know what you're doing in your field order to be self employed. You also have to be a natural leader(if you have employees) and treat your employees like family.

More importantly, you need the resources and connections in order to be on your own. If you're not at that point a related job in the industry will help you establish those. Eventually you hit the ceiling and realize "hrmm...i do pretty much everything for this business yet im making someone else richer".

there is great reward, but also great risk

the flexibility is great, but the responsibility is considerable. discipline is very very very important

and if you don't have sales or marketing skills, you're probably screwed. everything in one way or another relates to those two. even if it's not a product, you always have to sell yourself

lumberg is self employed
he is relatively new at it (last 6 months or so)
luckily i have made enough money for him to focus on getting his business off the ground and he doesnt have the burden of also working a full time job onthe side
but we're moving so he'll have to build up the business in another part of the country
but that shouldnt be a problem
if anything i have lots of connections and networking possibilities for him out in WI

Interior Designer

I have 3 clients that have not put the brakes on their projects, one ongoing job and two very small jobs, the construction jobs are dead and one is completely shut down unless he dumps the house as is or lets it sit nothing's going to happen anytime soon.

There's something to be said about being your own boss, your success is all yours as are your failures but it's also your responsibilty that you always have work and keep your name in good standing. When you work for someone else you just have to show, do you job, collect a check and when you leave work you can choose to leave it or take it home with you. When it's your own biz it's 24/7 (just my experience).

also, CW is spot on about it requiring a lot of discipline and also organization skills to keep it going. its much more difficult for someone who lacks time management and organizational skills but it can be done with the right people helping

Smurfy said:
also, CW is spot on about it requiring a lot of discipline and also organization skills to keep it going. its much more difficult for someone who lacks time management and organizational skills but it can be done with the right people helping

ADHD :(

but smart people with ADHD delegate most of their administrative functions. and you can always improve your organizational skills

calveless wonder said:
ADHD :(

but smart people with ADHD delegate most of their administrative functions. and you can always improve your organizational skills
yes, Lumberg struggles with ADHD too
he's VERY easily distracted by the littlest things and he cant multi-task very well at all
but he's damn near brilliant

Top Bottom