Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Saying hello after 12 or so years - coming back after domestic violence

September

Hello - kind of a long winded post here. I guess I just wanted to write a note, as this has been on my mind for a while.

I was a member of these forums a long time ago, 12 years or something ago, it's hard to even remember. I don't even remember what my username was, but I spent a great deal of time there when I was in college. I recently (earlier this summer) finally got up the guts to leave an abusive husband (I was married for eight years) with my two kids. It's been an incredible journey, but my kids are amazing and we are all doing better now than I could have ever hoped for. I was so very isolated during my marriage, wasn't allowed to go to the gym or even really do anything social except for work, which I did almost all the time when I wasn't taking care of the kids. I am, of course, out of shape and hoping to get back to where I was. I am around 180, 5'4" and get winded just going up the stairs :). I'd like to get back down to 140 and have to dig some of my weight accomplishments out of storage, because I honestly don't remember. I remember being able to do a great many dips, but just thinking about doing them makes me want to take a nap now (if such a thing were feasible with two toddlers).

But before I was married, I was a surfer, I swam competitively in college for a Big 10 school and I did really care about my health. I bought myself a little barbell set and we recently moved to a nice neighborhood, where I should be able to start jogging again (I live just outside of NYC).

It's been a long several months of struggle, court stuff and just keeping my head above water. Adjusting to being a single mom and dealing with some of the more difficult memories.

After going out for dinner with some work friends a few weeks ago, and reaized that it was the first time I had gone out in the evening without my husband in eight years (!). Being social hasn't exactly been easy to do again. But I just remembered today how much fun I used to have talking to other folks who liked working out and learn from them. I look forward to meeting folks and reading some inspirational stories, and maybe becoming one of them, I hope :).

So that's my story. I'd like to know if anyone has ever come back from something similar. One thing I've found is that everyone who I've shared this with, men and women, at work and whatnot, has their own personal story to share, and it's been amazingly helpful after feeling alone for so many years. It was nice to write this too. I am glad to be there and happy to meet you all. Here's to a healthier 2017.

Welcome back. It's good to hear that you and your kids are now safe. That was a very important step. Anything after that should seem easy. :)
Well again. Welcome back. Glad to have you. Stick around for your journey, I'd like to read a long as you go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Salyan - much appreciated on your reply. Looking forward to diving in again and as I've been looking around, good to see some things don't change much even after a decade

Top Bottom