Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Question about energy conservation

pdaddyII

High End Bro
Platinum
Would it be cheaper on my gas bill this winter to shut off my heat when I left the house. Mind you I'm gone for +14 hours at a time. I can't recall if it actually saves on as or if it takes more enregy to heat it to desired temperature once comming home. Also I would be turning it off three times a week.

hmmmmmm, with cooling, it takes more energy if you shut things off when you leave, but my guess is that it's easier to heat than it is to cool.... Good question.

Would it be cheaper on my gas bill this winter to shut off my heat when I left the house. Mind you I'm gone for +14 hours at a time. I can't recall if it actually saves on as or if it takes more enregy to heat it to desired temperature once comming home. Also I would be turning it off three times a week.

Lowering it to mid 60's would help but I would keep it that low and bundle up because you'll pay a premium for raising it to mid 70's. During winter months my thermo is set at 65 and I work from home, just wear a sweatshirt.

It's never above 65, but why even keep it there when I'm not going to be there? It's well insulated with new windows so if I shut off the heat, I can't imagine it dipping down too terribly low.

I would drop the temp when you leave. A timer on your water heater can save you a bunch too. I got one that figured out when you would need hot water and would not heat the water on off hours. It never let the water get that cold and it was a noticeable difference when I put that in. I had an electric water heater so I'm not sure how well it works on gas water heaters.

I would drop the temp when you leave. A timer on your water heater can save you a bunch too. I got one that figured out when you would need hot water and would not heat the water on off hours. It never let the water get that cold and it was a noticeable difference when I put that in. I had an electric water heater so I'm not sure how well it works on gas water heaters.

That is a good idea. I'm going to have to do some reseach on that for sure.

Another money saver is to get new seals for your frig if you need them. Close a dollar bill in the door and if you can easily slide it out you need new seals. Could save you 20 bucks a month.

Another money saver is to get new seals for your frig if you need them. Close a dollar bill in the door and if you can easily slide it out you need new seals. Could save you 20 bucks a month.

NICE, my frig is pretty new but I will still be doing the dollar bill test. If you want to be frugal, and yes I do this and have found a 10-15 dollar decrease in my gas bill. When you lather up and wash your hair in the shower, turn the water off. It adds up to be around an hour of hot water usage you're saving per month.

I wouldn't recommend turning your heat off. My neighbor did that once when it really wasn't that cold out (like 25 degrees). He was gone for about 12 hours. He came back to find that one of his water pipes had bursted and flooded his kitchen.

Although your house may be 65 degrees, the temperature in your attic or basement (where your pipes are) might be considerably lower due to insulation not allowing much heat to cross (in the attic) or heat not sinking into the basement.

You could probably get away with an automatic thermostat resetting the temp to 60 when you're away.

I've never heard of the hot water timer. That's an interesting idea, but one that wouldn't work for me since my heat and hot water are tied together (gas).

I wouldn't recommend turning your heat off. My neighbor did that once when it really wasn't that cold out (like 25 degrees). He was gone for about 12 hours. He came back to find that one of his water pipes had bursted and flooded his kitchen.

Although your house may be 65 degrees, the temperature in your attic or basement (where your pipes are) might be considerably lower due to insulation not allowing much heat to cross (in the attic) or heat not sinking into the basement.

You could probably get away with an automatic thermostat resetting the temp to 60 when you're away.

I've never heard of the hot water timer. That's an interesting idea, but one that wouldn't work for me since my heat and hot water are tied together (gas).

Excellent point, I didn't even consider that, and obviously neither did your neighbor, lol.

I think I'm just going to decrease it to around 60 when I'm gone. I'll be curious to see the difference.

Top Bottom