Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

psych doctors- necessity?

• Thread starter DepressiveJuice
  • Start date
D

DepressiveJuice

i think they are a waste. i've never been to one but what do they do? prescribe you medication which only act as a bandaid. why do people that feel down think that meds are the answer? try looking at your life first because that might be the problem

Psychiatric medicine is not limited to your average depressed individual. There are many seriously ill people out there who would be locked away in institutions or worse yet be a danger to themselves or society if not for the medications and treatments available today. Your average doc or even nuerologist is simply not well versed enough in the psychology not just the physiology of mental disorders to effectively treat these unfortunate souls.

Ditto. I am in med school and have absolutely no respect for psychiatrists or psychologists for that matter.

And psychiatric care for the seriously psychotic is no differrent in intent or outcome than it was 200 years ago. 200 years ago they locked them up so that they would not disturb others. They dunked them upside down over and over in ice cold water, often inducing seizures, until the "patients" became compliant - which meant they shut up and stayed out of everybody's way.

Now we lock them up and drug them with Haldol, stelazine etc until they are walking zombies and do not disturb anyone.

Haldol and the other anti-psychotic medications rarely if ever stop the poor individuals hallucinations, they just sedate them enough so they stop telling everyone about the voices ( telling them they are evil, that they are going to hell, that they are alone the only real humans in the world and everyone else is a unfeeling robot, that they are being watched by the government - yeah I know its crazy and "paranoid") and the hallucinations (of evil spirits, of cancer coming to get them, of invisible forces that take away their happiness etc). They still suffer with everything that is schizophrenic - both positive and negative symptoms, they just are quieter about it.

And along with the sedating effects of Haldol that make them walk around like zombies without arm swing, they also develop markedly elevated prolactin levels which make them impotent as well - now they are crazy and really have a reason to die.

And if that was not enough, many develop tardive dyskenisia ( which is uncontrolled writhing snakelike movements, tongue rolling back in their mouths, shakes much like a person with Parkinsons) but that can be covered up for a time being by other drugs like Cogentin - but eventually they will have Parkinson like problems.

Psychiatrists make around 120,000 dollars a year to sit and listen to someones problems and drug them up..sometimes also plugging them into the outlet of the wall for some ECT (electro convulsive therapy) formerly called electroshock therapy. might as well dunk their heads upside down in ice cold water.

A good film about psychiatric hospitals is the Francis Farmer story. Its a true story. SHe was a Marilyn Monroe sort of star in her time. She was a up and coming movie star in the 30's and 40's. She was unconventional and committed to an institution. The doctors drugged her into a stupor and then raped her as well as letting sailors and anyone else who wanted to pay $10 rape her as well in long sessions of doctor ordered gangbangs.

There is nothing in mental health care that is caring or about mental health.

DepressiveJuice said:
i think they are a waste. i've never been to one but what do they do? prescribe you medication which only act as a bandaid. why do people that feel down think that meds are the answer? try looking at your life first because that might be the problem

Remember to cut the wrist from elbow to finger.

Generic MALE said:
Ditto. I am in med school and have absolutely no respect for psychiatrists or psychologists for that matter.

Now we lock them up and drug them with Haldol, stelazine etc until they are walking zombies and do not disturb anyone.

And along with the sedating effects of Haldol that make them walk around like zombies without arm swing, they also develop markedly elevated prolactin levels which make them impotent as well - now they are crazy and really have a reason to die.

Well I'm not sure what med school has to do with this?

As far as Haldol and stelazine...you do know that these drugs are 3rd. generation medications which are rarely if ever used right? Many of the newer antipsychotics have a much lower risk of EPS and many people do well with them. They are drugs with sides effects just like any other drug but they provide relief for many people.

As far as psychiatry somehow being inhumane...well you have to remember that at one point we were cutting peoples limbs off without anaesthesia. Many diseases were treated by draining the patients blood with leaches. These among others were valid treatments that today seem barbaric. Should we have scrapped the whole of medicine?

Progress in the field of Psychiatry is being made at an amazing rate. Researchers are finally tapping into one of the last uncharted regions of the human body, the brain. The results of that research will amaze and help many many people. Sure psychiatry is just as much if not more an art as it is a science but to do away with the whole profession would stifle progress and not help anyone.

bdog527 said:

1) Well I'm not sure what med school has to do with this?

2) As far as psychiatry somehow being inhumane...well you have to remember that at one point we were cutting peoples limbs off without anaesthesia. Many diseases were treated by draining the patients blood with leaches. These among others were valid treatments that today seem barbaric. Should we have scrapped the whole of medicine?

3) Progress in the field of Psychiatry is being made at an amazing rate.

1) Just simply that even working intimately with the treatment facilities as an insider I have seen virtually nothing being done that allows me to respect the profession

2) medical treatment for disease has evolved vastly since they were cutting peoples limbs off without anesthesia (roughly around the time of the civil war, as ether and nitrous oxide began being used around 1865) - however I still contend that psyche care has evolved neither in "intent or outcome" in 200 years or more. THe intent is the same for psychotic patients : shut them up so they do not disturb anyone. The outcome is the same : traumatized individuals who have been screwed up physically in some way by the very treatment they were recieving. Of course we can look at all the progress in treating ADHD - teachers who are overwhelmed because their class numbers are too large, and get bothered by kids who ask too many quetions can now drug them into lethargy so the kid sits there and does not disturb anyone by asking too many questions.

3) hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

DepressiveJuice said:
i think they are a waste. i've never been to one but what do they do?

I've never shattered my leg so badly that bone was jutting out through torn skin. So I figure that people that do have that are a bunch of fucking pussies and should just walk it off instead of bitching about the pain and suffering.

I've certainly bumped my leg before and had some bad bruises - so I feel that I have every right to feel this way.

As far as holdol not being used - yeah, seroquel and some of the newer crap is sometimes used initially for easy to manage individuals.

Top Bottom