Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Problem for any computer techs.

c-sharp minor

I installed 512 megs DDR pc2700 ram in my comp., but it can only use 2100. Now, the RAM is working fine except for the fact only 256 megs are registering. I am using Win 98se and it's possible that is the problem. The tech guy I had install it for me said I shouldn't have any problems; when I go to my system specs my physical memory is only 256 megs.

I have been talking to peeps on pc boards but the only suggestions I get are to get a newer OS or flash my BIOS.

Anyone have a suggestions?

your board may be maxed out at 256, another idea would be that you have a low per memory slot allowance *such as a max of 256megs per slot, etc* though that is usually uncommon it is possible none the less.... ram could be damaged, Win98 might max out at 256megs *i cant remeber*, any of those....

I think win98 maxes out at 256 like Naturally anabolic said...Get a pirated version of XP and slap that puppy on there.

naturally anabolic said:
your board may be maxed out at 256, another idea would be that you have a low per memory slot allowance *such as a max of 256megs per slot, etc* though that is usually uncommon it is possible none the less.... ram could be damaged, Win98 might max out at 256megs *i cant remeber*, any of those....

I think Natty is right. Your system board probably has a 256MB max per slot. I highly doubt it's an OS issue. I'm not sure what the 98 max is but I'm almost positive it's more than 256 MB, I think it more like 2 GB. I know NT4.0 has a 4GB max so I would assume 98 would be in that general area.

If that is the only memory chip in your PC now, then it's most likely not bad memory either, as 256 megs of it is registering. Hope that helps.

Pebcak

Thanks for the replys everyone.

I have a VIA VT9753(PX266) chipset.

My manual says the mainboard accomodates 2 DDR + 2 SDR 168 pin, 3.3V DIMM sockets with a total capacity of 1 GB system memory.

Since I can't run DDR and SDR simultaneously, I must be able to use to 512meg sticks of RAM at once. I think. hehe.

I know of some problems with Win98 and too much memory, but it is when you have over 512 megs that it starts to get screwy.

I just checked my manual again and each memory module can have up to 1GB total memory.

Last edited:
I used 768MB under 98 SE, so I know it'll work. If you can, try reseating it. Sometimes the techs don't always install it properly.

Thanks for the help peeps.:D

I picked up the correct RAM today (pc2100), and it works fine.

I still am going to upgrade to Win xp though.

Top Bottom