Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Plunkey

Did you catch the latest episode of Stossel?

About the government making everyone equal.

The road to surfdom episode? I loved it.

He's putting together great shows. It's good research and I like his guests. I DVR it every week.

I'd be a hardcore libertarian if we'd decouple all the subsidies that are already in place. As much as I respect people who live socially conservative lifestyles, that isn't something that should be imposed on other people. But right now, if you're going to charge one person for another person's behavior, why shouldn't the payer get some voice in the payee's life? There are no free lunches.

The road to surfdom episode? I loved it.

He's putting together great shows. It's good research and I like his guests. I DVR it every week.

I'd be a hardcore libertarian if we'd decouple all the subsidies that are already in place. As much as I respect people who live socially conservative lifestyles, that isn't something that should be imposed on other people. But right now, if you're going to charge one person for another person's behavior, why shouldn't the payer get some voice in the payee's life? There are no free lunches.

Yep...

I'm not a hardcore Libertarian in the sense that police, fire and national defense should be outsourced but the less government intrusion the better. If you have Netflix, I would suggest watching the documentary King Corn which deals with agricultural subsidies....I grew up in farm country when the government paid farmers to not plant crops. In the late 1970's the Carter admin decided to pay farmers to produce corn which leads us to high fructose corn syrup and cheap food....which leads us to the blight of plenty increasing healthcare costs via obesity.

Yep...

I'm not a hardcore Libertarian in the sense that police, fire and national defense should be outsourced but the less government intrusion the better. If you have Netflix, I would suggest watching the documentary King Corn which deals with agricultural subsidies....I grew up in farm country when the government paid farmers to not plant crops. In the late 1970's the Carter admin decided to pay farmers to produce corn which leads us to high fructose corn syrup and cheap food....which leads us to the blight of plenty increasing healthcare costs via obesity.

I'd like to watch that sometime.

I've spent a few years in corn ethanol (biofuels) on the design, construction and operation side. We were invited to a private briefing by ORNL on cap-and-trade, biofuels, carbon offset programs etc. etc. last week. Here were the big points:

1) Energy production and agriculture are inextricably linked via carbon.

2) At first it seems like feedstocks for biofuels are the major issue (along with the fertilizers and fossil fuels necessary for their production), but that's not the big problem.

3) The big problem on a global scale is repurposed land and redirected agricultural efforts.

Long story short, it creates an inevitable path where agricultural processes and products are rolled-into the cap-and-trade energy system.

I'm about to go to bed tonight, but I'll post an email exchange from the Associate Laboratory Director at a National Laboratory (DOE Facility) tomorrow. It's really sobering to realize at least the Europeans will be linking their energy and food sectors together at some point.

I'd like to watch that sometime.

I've spent a few years in corn ethanol (biofuels) on the design, construction and operation side. We were invited to a private briefing by ORNL on cap-and-trade, biofuels, carbon offset programs etc. etc. last week. Here were the big points:

1) Energy production and agriculture are inextricably linked via carbon.

2) At first it seems like feedstocks for biofuels are the major issue (along with the fertilizers and fossil fuels necessary for their production), but that's not the big problem.

3) The big problem on a global scale is repurposed land and redirected agricultural efforts.

Long story short, it creates an inevitable path where agricultural processes and products are rolled-into the cap-and-trade energy system.

I'm about to go to bed tonight, but I'll post an email exchange from the Associate Laboratory Director at a National Laboratory (DOE Facility) tomorrow. It's really sobering to realize at least the Europeans will be linking their energy and food sectors together at some point.

The cliff notes from the movie, but for federal subsidies a farmer cannot make a profit growing corn.

jesus fucking libertarism1?!?!?!?!

are you just destined to prove everything wrong?

libertarism is fucking capitalism

jesus fucking libertarism1?!?!?!?!

are you just destined to prove everything wrong?

libertarism is fucking capitalism

Define capitalism....what we have isn't capitalism....Otherwise the banks would have failed and not been bailed out by their government puppets...Obama got much more wall street money than McCain...massive amounts. Obama is a Wall Street house negro...he makes speeches against them but takes their money and protects them.

Define capitalism....what we have isn't capitalism....Otherwise the banks would have failed and not been bailed out by their government puppets...Obama got much more wall street money than McCain...massive amounts. Obama is a Wall Street house negro...he makes speeches against them but takes their money and protects them.

1... what we have isn't libertarianism NOR is it capitalism... is it favored in that direction? YES

2... libertarianism, correct me if I'm wrong, is basically supporting free trade? Free trade is basically capitalism correct?

1... what we have isn't libertarianism NOR is it capitalism... is it favored in that direction? YES

2... libertarianism, correct me if I'm wrong, is basically supporting free trade? Free trade is basically capitalism correct?

Nope, it's about limited government and personal freedom. It isn't an economic system. True capitalism would have no restraints on business...none. Government has a role, providing a basic legal structure that normalizes business practices and provides the most basic protections for the citizenry...that's the point of government.

Top Bottom