Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

noncompete clauses

shirlene29

I am BATMAN!
Platinum
EF VIP
what does anyone know about them?

its a standard non compete...

does this normally bar you from working for someone else within the same industry? or just goin out on your own

Usually bars you from taking any of your contacts to a competitor, or going to work for a competitor for X amount of time.

It depends on what kind of no-compete clause it is... To be sure what EXACTLY yours means, have a local lawyer look at it. It should state exactly what you may and may not do.

For employees working for a company, usually they're imposed if you've received some kind of special skill or knowledge, or if you have had access to the clients, or have gotten some kind of potential unfair advantage from your job, to be able to do whatever the job is on your own, or where it would be easy to take business or customers with you to a new job. Real estate agents, architects, hair stylists, plumbers, etc might be asked to sign one.

Small businesses when sold as a working company, such as our horse rehab hospital when my wife bought it, are another time when a no-compete clause is put up. Our broker made the seller sign a no-compete clause stating that she would not take with her any clients, and would not partake in the startup of any other horse rehab facility within 50 miles of this one. This doesn't mean she couldn't have gone and bought another one already existing; she just couldn't build a new one "in the next block".

In a commercial building rental agreement, the tenants might have one built-into the lease, promising that no similar business will be allowed to lease space in the same building, and many cities prohibit competing businesses from being with (x) feet of each other.

Charles

Usually bars you from taking any of your contacts to a competitor, or going to work for a competitor for X amount of time.

This^ But you have to read it.

It is most likely to keep you from going out on your own and or taking contracts anywhere else. Be it on your own or to a new job.
If its not going to a competitor within X amount of time I would tell them to pack it in their ass. I could see if you were at a management level position making $250k + but usually thats not the case.

hmmm....I have to look it over a lot more carefully because I could easily do this without taking existing customers or reps....

I know I could hide in this industry with another employer if thats what I so chose...which I don't think I want to do. The company I work for now isn't particularly dishonest which is an oddity for this industry

someone just put a bug in my ear...another manager, thats really swirling in my head

My sister signed one when she went to work for two doctor/brothers in a relatively small town. It basically said she couldn't practice anywhere else in town and was ruled unenforceable.

look at meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I'm important and have an important job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom