Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

New front on war against ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION: Former employees sue Swift alleging wage manipulation

Hengst

"...Former employees are suing Swift & Co. for $23 million, alleging the meatpacking company conspired to keep wages down by hiring illegal immigrants...."

"When the Swift plant opened in Cactus, wages were approximately $20 an hour," said another plaintiffs attorney, Michael Haygood. "Now, the average wage is approximately $12 to $13 an hour. Illegal immigration has fueled this depression in wages."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/biz/4410426.html

Re: New front on war against ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION: Former employees sue Swift alleging

Hengst said:
or maybe hiring illegals drove down the wages....... duh.

For the life of me I cannot understand why people cant seem to grasp this concept.

Hengst said:
or maybe hiring illegals drove down the wages....... duh.

Which just prove my point: if a significant group of people somewhere is ready to do it for less, it means you're overpaid. I bet these "legal" workers were unqualified and could easily be replaced, so $20/hour is way too much IMHO...

Re: New front on war against ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION: Former employees sue Swift alleging

Hengst said:
actually it's the ILLEGAL ALIENS who are unqualified. That's why they work for less.

they're expendable and the employer shells out A LOT less for health benefits.

But its a problem in the US. I havent figured it out, it needs to be addressed.

Hengst said:
actually it's the ILLEGAL ALIENS who are unqualified. That's why they work for less.

Again, thanks for proving my points. If an unqualified wetback can do this job, it means the job itself doesn't require anything special. That's the problem with these jobs, workers are replaceable. That's why I guess my parents pushed me to go to college, so I wouldn't just be another "warehouse rat".

manny78 said:
.....That's the problem with these jobs, workers are replaceable. That's why I guess my parents pushed me to go to college, so I wouldn't just be another "warehouse rat".

Nobody is indispensable, including you. Plus you are a fool if you think a college education is going to shield you from the corrosive effects of illegal immigration/out-sourcing and in-sourcing on our economy. Just wait until you are replaced by a cheaper, HIGHLY EDUCATED worker from the third world.

Hengst said:
Nobody is indispensable, including you. Plus you are a fool if you think a college education is going to shield you from the corrosive effects of illegal immigration/out-sourcing and in-sourcing on our economy. Just wait until you are replaced by a cheaper, HIGHLY EDUCATED worker from the third world.

But that's not the same thing. Although I agree with you it is an issue.

Manny's point is that if any fool off the street can do the job, it wasn't worth paying someone $20 an hour in the first place.

Top Bottom