Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

new book to read, suggestions?

Phemomena

i'm trying to decide on a new book to read... anyone recommend something... just to let you know the direction i'm thinking, i was debating re-reading atlas shrugged, but i'm not too sure if i can put up with Ann Rand's abuse of the english language... i guess she did a good job considering it is a second language to her, but still...

I wish every person on this board were given a copy to read of the following two books (well, more, but esp these two):
The Demon-Haunted World : Science As a Candle in the Dark -- by Carl Sagan

and

How We Know What Isn't So : The Fallibility of Human Reason in Everyday Life
by Thomas Gilovich

Both are very good.
Neither are Fiction if that is what you are looking for

Any one of these are philosophically based and fun to read:
Way of the Peaceful Warrior--zen philosophy.
The Screwtape letters--two demons writing letters back and forth to each other. Kind of short book.
The Art of War, by Sun Tzu.

Don't know if that's what you had in mind, though.

havoc said:
Celestine Prophecy

the only books off the bestseller list I've really enjoyed were comedy books (David Sedaris) - generally speaking though, if the masses love it, it is too full of shit for my tatste.

my step mother, well, ex step mother is all out, officially nutso fucking insane.
she thought she was psychic, could teleport, and could turn any object into another.
she recommended I read this book to open my eyes.
I tried several times to get through it, but it was far too much of a peice of shit for my taste.

assuming you were sincere Havoc, I'm suprised, but obviously to each their own.

HappyScrappy said:

the only books off the bestseller list I've really enjoyed were comedy books (David Sedaris) - generally speaking though, if the masses love it, it is too full of shit for my tatste.

my step mother, well, ex step mother is all out, officially nutso fucking insane.
she thought she was psychic, could teleport, and could turn any object into another.
she recommended I read this book to open my eyes.
I tried several times to get through it, but it was far too much of a peice of shit for my taste.

assuming you were sincere Havoc, I'm suprised, but obviously to each their own.

i am looking for something a little less mainstream, when in the mood, i can enjoy bestsellers, but i generally get through them in less than a day, and it becomes a waste of money... i'm looking for a book with re-read value... i mostly buy bestsellers in airports, something to pass the time on the flight and waiting...

happy... you seem a little less than that today... no ice cream this weekend?

keep up the suggestions guys, i'm planning on making a trip to the bookstore right after i leave the gym...

To be honest I have met the same type of people you were describing Happy, however, I liked the book because I already knew everything it was talking about, simply let me know that someone else has some positive thoughts, its fiction anyway.

The Poisonwood Bible

David Sedaris is also very funny...I've read most of his books...

David Sedaris' "Naked" = the most hilarious book I've ever read!

havoc said:
positive thoughts, its fiction anyway.

ahh - see, this is the difference - you are smart enough to know better.
now I get it.
she didn't get the whole "just b/c it is in a book doesn't mean it might just be fiction or poorly researched, etc"

Top Bottom