Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

MISSILE DEFENSE SHIELD: Is it needed?

R

RyanH

For once, I might agree with President Bush.... Imagine that. His idea for a MISSiLE DEFENSE shield seems to be a well-needed defense mechanism since there are several small rogue nations that cannot be trusted, particularly in the hands of unstable leaders like Saddam Hussein.

Democratic Senator Leahy is, however, opposed to the plan, but I am not familiar with the opposition's argument, other than that it would be expensive. Do any of you know the other arguments being presented as to why a MISSILE defense shield would not work? I want to become more familar with this issue....

I cought a little bit of that argument. The opposition feels that it is only a theory and can't be proven effective therefore a waste of money. I personally think it is a good idea - but isn't this just an upgraded 'Star Wars' plan? What happened to that?:eek:

Well, if there is major doubt as to its effectiveness.....why pursue the plan.....this seems like a no-brainer...

I wasn't aware that its effectiveness has been questioned.

Well the patriot work out very well.

Yes -- with all the littel guys these days.
It should be global and shoot down all actors.
That way everyone has the protection of it.

The Star Wars Misslie Defense Program proved to be futile. The effectiveness of such a program has been heavily debated. The idea of a missile defense system is very noble and intriguing, however many researchers believe that to perfect a system of this complexity is highly unlikely and considered a waste of money and time.

BigPhysicsBastard said:
It's a waste of time with current technology. You see, the Pentagon likes to engage in projects with technology that is clearly not up to par, but they force it through anyway and end up spending Billions by the time they finally throw the towel in. It's all a cushy little cluster fuck with weapons manufacturers. It's a good idea, no A VERY GOOD IDEA, to have a missile defense system. But work has to be done in coming up with new technologies, because with current techs. the system would be unreliable and put us back into triple digit debt. And the russians can toss my hairy salad, these fuckers sell their top nukes to anyone with the cash, and than cry foul when we want to build a shield? FUCK EM!!!!!!

So are you saying that President Bush is sold out to big business---weapon manufacturers?

well, consider this though. As sucessful as the Patriot was at striking down scud missles, the tehnology exists. Remember, the Gov't technology is far more advanced than anything civilians have, computers included. If the Patriot was being used 10+ years ago, isn't possible that maybe they have a system developed now that is more sophisticated, reliable?

If there is even a substantial probability that a system would work, it seems only sensible that we should spend our resources on developing it. Although, we should not go too much into debt in the process. Somehow we should look for solutions without piling up "Regean like" debt all over again.

What other defense would we have to unstable leaders of rogue nations? Not employing a defense mechanism seems to great a risk.

Based on what I've heard, I am with the President on this one, thus far....

RyanH,

Did you see some of the appointees to some military posts? (Undersecretary of the Air Force was one of the posts)

They were pulled directly from the executive level at the defense contractors - from Northrop Grumman, General Dynamics and Lockheed Martin? This was all kept kind of quiet but has been sharply, and rightfully criticized.

It is a total sellout to the defense contractors, who are huge winners from the missile defense shield idea.

Truth: The Patriot is/was a dismal failure. It was seemingly effective in protecting Israel during the Gulf War because the Scud missile was only slightly more advanced than a bottle rocket. The Patriot worked infrequently. Maybe the technology is there...I personally say it isn't.

Have there been any large scale missile attacks ANYWHERE on the earth(much less toward the US) to warrant this multiple-hundred-billion-dollar effort?

This is a crappy idea. It is simply Bush payback for the big time campaign donations. Ideally, Bush may want a cold war scenario with China like we had with the Soviet Union for so long.

RyanH, I know you haven't served in the military. I'll tell you something: the Army has been marching for 225 years, and the boots still suck. The equipmetn you carry on your body (as an infantryman, the heart of the fighting force) is uncomfortable and could be greatly improved.

Our servicemembers would much more appreciate defense dolars spent on these things...not to mention some decent on post housing while they are at it.

Defense Budgets are not (sadly) about soldiers (or other services), they are about corporations. I'm generally a Republican, but I call a spade a spade, and Bush is fucked up on this one.

Top Bottom