Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Is marriage an outdated institution? Is co-habitation replacing the institution of marriage

sugarlicious

Is marriage an outdated institution? Is co-habitation replacing the institution of marriage, and will this affect the security and stability of children?

I know marriage is arguably losing its appeal claim many social scientists, and indeed many tabloids. With divorce ever on the increase – with statistics showing one out of every three marriages end in divorce, the institution of marriage as a religious and legal bond may be considered outdated in today’s society. Co-habitation is no longer unacceptable, indeed it is commonplace among the youth of today, and illegitimacy no longer carries such a social stigma. But is a stable family environment dependent on a marital bond – or more appropriately, if not dependent is it improved?

Marriage is like any business contract and should be treated just as a business agreement. If people don't know what their roles are and what they are to bring to the business/marriage the relationship will be strained. People in a marriage/contract often forget that they are co-owners and their employees/children depend on them to be good leaders and teachers so when these leaders fail to live up to what is expected of them everything falls apart from the top down.

That said I don't believe that a formal marriage in necessary for people who do not plan to have children (it's like being self employed with a partner but no employees to be responsible for) because in most states their are other options but if marriage is what you choose the same responsibilities apply.

Marriage as a concept is not outdated it's the treatment and follow through of those that enter the "institution" that has changed. People don't take it seriously enough, marriage is not about the wedding as a business is not about picking out paper for your business cards. A logical person wouldn't open up a business without any consideration to the details of sustaining it yet people jump into weddings, receptions and breeding with little or no thought (above the waist).

Marraige isn't outdated.

co-habitation is becoming more normal though.

Marraiage will always be practiced. It's been a world culture thing for milleniums. it won't cease to exist any time soon.

sugarlicious said:
Is marriage an outdated institution? Is co-habitation replacing the institution of marriage, and will this affect the security and stability of children?

I know marriage is arguably losing its appeal claim many social scientists, and indeed many tabloids. With divorce ever on the increase – with statistics showing one out of every three marriages end in divorce, the institution of marriage as a religious and legal bond may be considered outdated in today’s society. Co-habitation is no longer unacceptable, indeed it is commonplace among the youth of today, and illegitimacy no longer carries such a social stigma. But is a stable family environment dependent on a marital bond – or more appropriately, if not dependent is it improved?
i dont necessarily think its outdated, its just not practical for humans to spend their entire life with one partner. in most cases it just doesnt work out for any number of reasons.

INTERESTING VIEWS

But dont you think the principle of marriage has always been to provide a stable home life for the rearing of children. Psychologically scientific studies have found that co-habitation does not lend itself to as much psychological stability for a child. Regardless of the level of commitment between a couple, society still recognises marriage as an institution where most stability is gained. This is not to discredit single parent families or divorced parents, but to acknowledge the institute of marriage as the ideal outcome of a loving relationship and desire for a family.

sugarlicious said:
INTERESTING VIEWS

But dont you think the principle of marriage has always been to provide a stable home life for the rearing of children. Psychologically scientific studies have found that co-habitation does not lend itself to as much psychological stability for a child. Regardless of the level of commitment between a couple, society still recognises marriage as an institution where most stability is gained. This is not to discredit single parent families or divorced parents, but to acknowledge the institute of marriage as the ideal outcome of a loving relationship and desire for a family.

I think yo're right on this.

I believe in marriage, and believe against co-habitation before marraige. Just the way I was taught.

The institution of marriage was actually for the legal protection of women and her children and so that the man could be more secure in the knowledge that the product of that union would be of his genes.

'Course we all know that this wasn't always the case and still isn't always the case.

I do believe now that the option of divorce is so readily available ths may actually make people work harder to stay in the relationship for greater good... well, maybe those of us who have the desire for those emotional needs met anyway.

It could be argued that neither my husband or I HAD to get married. Matter of fact, neither of us wanted to. Until my husband decided regardless of how poorly his experiences in the past were - he held me in SUCH high esteem that he WANTED me to accept the honor of becoming his wife. The truth of the matter is it is much more powerful to introduce (and treat) someone as your spouse than a lover or fiance. I don't care who says what, it is A FACT. And I do believe that is as it should be.

On a side note, I remember back in the day one of my more lovable professors introduced the notion of serial monogamy. I thought the concept was quite intriguing...

Society paints this picture on how life should be.........married with kids and a house and that will make you happy and your kids............bullshit..........everyone is an individual and what works for some dosent work for others.
In regards to children from what some psychologists have told me being married or not dosent necesarily mean that the kids will be fine. That was an old way of thinking because there wasnt as many divorced/single parents as there are now to do a proper study

Historically, marriage was primarily based on economics and was important to outline legal rights, most importantly inheritance. Under common law a child born to a couple was legally considered the child of the husband no matter who impregnated the wife. This was important for inheritance, a bastard child pretty much had to rely on the charity of the father. These days, with our ability to perform genetic testing inheritance isn't much of an issue. Also, wills, living wills and powers of attorney can be used by couples to gain many of the legal rights given to married couples.The two areas where this can't be done are joint filing and health insurance.

javaguru said:
Historically, marriage was primarily based on economics and was important to outline legal rights, most importantly inheritance. Under common law a child born to a couple was legally considered the child of the husband no matter who impregnated the wife. This was important for inheritance, a bastard child pretty much had to rely on the charity of the father. These days, with our ability to perform genetic testing inheritance isn't much of an issue. Also, wills, living wills and powers of attorney can be used by couples to gain many of the legal rights given to married couples.The two areas where this can't be done are joint filing and health insurance.

Exactly!

Marriage was business not love at first hump.

Top Bottom