Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

LOL! Check out this Assault Weapons Ban hit-piece in the Boston Globe

p0ink

Politics and the assault weapons ban
By Thomas Oliphant, Globe Columnist | September 9, 2004

WASHINGTON As any trained terrorist or criminal knows, Sept. 13 is a banner day this year, the moment when assault weapons will once again be legal after a decade of government controls on these weapons of choice.

The National Rifle Association, which hates government control above all, will also be celebrating the apparently inevitable expiration of a ban that has worked.

Unlike desperate demagogues like Dick Cheney this week, I wouldn't dream of taking the obvious cheap shot of linking my ideological opponents to terrorists and criminals (as Cheney did by saying that the wrong vote in November could set the stage for another attack on the United States). It's more accurate to say that the NRA's antigovernment ideology along with terrorists and criminals have a coincidental but identical hope where the 10-year-old assault weapons ban is concerned.

Their hopes are about to be realized. The US Senate last spring recorded 52 votes for an extension of the ban on 19 types of these people killers and related controls. House Speaker Dennis Hastert has refused to allow the House to vote on the issue because an extension would probably pass narrowly there as well. Time is simply going to run out.

President Bush says he favors an extension, which he also said he favored as a candidate four years ago. He has, however, refused to make a single phone call or twist a single arm in furtherance of his alleged position, which means that he is willing to let the ban on these weapons expire. In a slight twist on what he might say of John Kerry these days, you could say Bush favored the ban before he helped kill it.

On the Senate floor this week, the mother of the ban, California Senator Dianne Feinstein, offered an example of what America can look forward to. A fellow appeared on the street in the small, northern Ohio town of Geneva this week with what is now an illegal 50-bullet clip on his gun and started shooting - less than 200 yards from an elementary school. Before he apparently shot himself to death, the man managed to wound three people. Next week, clips with more than 10 rounds in them will be legal. Such incidents under the ban fell dramatically; watch them rise again.

As Feinstein also noted, the gun makers are gearing up to peddle their wares anew - which will be legal as semi-automatic weapons, though experts say the adjustments needed to convert to fully automatic are well within most people's competence. In their effort to extend the ban, police departments all over the country make this point all the time. The examples are rather well known to all sides in the unending fight, but less well known to the public.

My favorite involved the seizure, for paperwork irregularities, of a Turkish ship in Italy that was on its way late last spring to American ports. The ship, the MS Adnan Bayraktar out of Romania, was carrying 7,500 to 8,000 assault weapons. Linked to the shipment was one of the major gun outfits in the United States, Florida-based Century International Arms - don't you love the CIA in the name? - which maintains a large warehouse near the Canadian border in Fairfax, Vt. File that one under Getting Ready.

In addition, a well-known Illinois gun company, ArmaLite, is pushing consumers not only to order assault weapons now for shipment after the ban expires, but also to add bayonets and even flash suppressors to their weapons. I can't quite figure out how a flash suppressor helps a hunter just because the deer can't see where the shot is coming from, but it sure helps a crook, which is why they were previously banned.

The NRA, in case no one has noticed, has yet to endorse Bush for reelection. The cover story is that the politically skilled gun lobby was waiting until each party's convention had ended before making its choice. The real story is that if the assault weapons ban expires, Bush will get endorsed, and the first board of directors meeting to discuss endorsement will take place this weekend.

The conventional wisdom is that guns are off everybody's table this election season; there is much evidence that Al Gore's tough stance on handguns hurt him in 2000 in states like West Virginia, Missouri, and New Hampshire.

This view is powerfully refuted, however, by data assembled by the Annenberg Center at the University of Pennsylvania, whose massive polling this year has shed light on several important questions. The truth is that assault weapons, as opposed to handguns, are an issue that splits Republicans, unites Democrats, and even divides the NRA.

In a sample of nearly 5,000 people during August, extending the ban was supported by 68 percent of the respondents overall, including 61 percent of the Republicans, 62 percent of conservatives, 57 percent of people in gun-owning households, and even 32 percent of NRA members.

The ban, however, will expire. Bush will get his endorsement. And people are going to die.

"As any trained terrorist or criminal knows, Sept. 13 is a banner day this year, the moment when assault weapons will once again be legal after a decade of government controls on these weapons of choice."

LOL!!!

yeah, terrorists who come here illegally, obtain money illegally, obtain false identification illegally are going to go to a gun store and LEGALLY obtain a firearm?! LOL! yeah!! :rolleyes:

If I was to commit a crime I would not want to have a trail of paperwork linking me to the weapon I used. Therefore I would want to obtain said weapon on the blackmarket so when I used it no one could run a search on all the assault weapons sold linking me to any sales of the weapon I used.
Translation: Regardless of whether or not assault weapons are legal if Im a criminal I want to obtain them off the books on the blackmarket.

I think this pretty much clears it up

* Between 1977 and 1992, 10 states adopted right-to-carry laws. Dr. Lott's study found that the implementation of these laws created:
-- no change in suicide rates,
-- a .5% rise in accidental firearm deaths,
-- a 5% decline in rapes,
-- a 7% decline in aggravated assaults,
-- and an 8% decline in murder

for the 10 states that adopted these laws between 1977 and 1992. (7)
* Using 1995 numbers, this amounts to:

-- 1 more accidental gun death,
-- 316 less murders,
-- 939 less rapes,
-- and 14,702 less aggravated assaults

* Washington D.C. enacted a virtual ban on handguns in 1976. Between 1976 and 1991, Washington D.C.'s homicide rate rose 200%, while the U.S. rate rose 12%. (1)

yea, D.C....where you can walk about 75 feet to Virginia or Maryland and get one despite the ban.

You know what? I'll probaly go out and buy one because I can. But do I need it? no. Should assault weapons be banned? probaly.Really...how the fukk can you justify the need for one....???

Top Bottom