Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

LMAO Ridiculous Email I got today from someone who works for someone who works for me

DOL State of MD:

There is no law requiring an employer to provide breaks, including lunch breaks, for workers 18 years old or older (See section VI. D.). An employer who chooses to provide a break, however, does not have to pay wages for lunch periods or other breaks in excess of 20 minutes where the employee is free to leave the worksite (or workstation if leaving the workplace is physically impractical), in fact takes their lunch or break (whether freely choosing to leave or remain at the worksite), and the employee does not actually perform work. If employees are told their pay will be reduced each day by one-half hour for lunch, and they are not free to take this lunch period without an expectation or reasonable understanding that they must work or be on hand to work, they must be paid for the time. A "reasonable understanding" that they must work or be on hand to work is a condition in which it is generally known, or the employee reasonably believes, that failure to perform work (or be available "on hand" to perform work) during their break, will result in some negative effect on employment.

[See also section VI. D. regarding rights to breaks and benefits]
http://www.dllr.state.md.us/labor/wagepay/wplunchbreaks.htm

that does suck, but it's all dependent on the nature of the job. obviously, smurfy wouldn't give a fuck if it didn't matter. at least, i hope not...maybe she's a real bitch offline, but i doubt it. however, if the operation gets fucked up by people not being there for even a few minutes, then so be it.

as for the legality, i don't suppose that's an unreasonable question, all things considered. if individual states have stipulations for such things, one can ask the question, even if one is a lazy and hypocritical fook.

my current job is so lax...at least, that's how i approach it. people notice, but i have been able to get away with it. roll in around 10-10:30, leave around 5:30-45. do things on my own schedule...most of the time, i'm all free and clear.

but i'm moving to the business side in a few weeks...in by 9, out by 6:30-7, most likely. fuck. :worried: i really wanted more money for this, but eh.

Smurph, I stand corrected on the VA thing...I know that's the way it was back when I lived in NY and one of my employers gave me the impression that VA had the same laws but I guess not. Anyhoo, it didn't apply to your situation either way.

Back in the day when I did temp work every now and then I would take an assignment for data entry - OMG I WANTED TO DIE!!! All you did was sit there and do mindless monkey work. Those breaks were like a Godsend. And what did 99.9% of these career dumbasses do? Run outside to smoke.

BLECH....

I still stand by my original statement. If one doesn't like the rules at their job, then they need get another one.

DT... my brotha you are TOO FUNNY! :lmao:

ok so its not illegal in MD.

I still think there are far better ways to handle it from a company culture perspective, positive incentives, etc.

As far as being habitually late, this is what I'd do.

Track the offending employee's start time for a week.

Call them into my office and discuss with them.

Tell them that this serves as a warning, and the next step will be disciplinary action (termination).

Seems like a win win, you cut the dead weight, the people bringing things down around the office, but at the same time give them a chance to man up and take responsbility for their actions. Its an honest and straightforward way to deal with someone.

Under the current rule, someone could just always come late and say "well I'm giving up my break today so I came in a little late..."

Where I work, and I manage people, I use positive reinforcement. The only negative reinforcement we use is termination, because once you get to the point where you have to punish someone, like I said before, odds are you aren't getting quality work out of them so its usually best for everyone involved to part ways.

Lestat said:
ok so its not illegal in MD.

I still think there are far better ways to handle it from a company culture perspective, positive incentives, etc.

As far as being habitually late, this is what I'd do.

Track the offending employee's start time for a week.

Call them into my office and discuss with them.

Tell them that this serves as a warning, and the next step will be disciplinary action (termination).

Seems like a win win, you cut the dead weight, the people bringing things down around the office, but at the same time give them a chance to man up and take responsbility for their actions. Its an honest and straightforward way to deal with someone.

Under the current rule, someone could just always come late and say "well I'm giving up my break today so I came in a little late..."

Where I work, and I manage people, I use positive reinforcement. The only negative reinforcement we use is termination, because once you get to the point where you have to punish someone, like I said before, odds are you aren't getting quality work out of them so its usually best for everyone involved to part ways.

we already have a progressive disciplinary procedure in place regarding excessive absenteeism/tardiness which is spelled out in the Standard of Conduct in our Personnel Policies. We already have 4 staff on a verbal warning due to having too many call-outs/tardies in a 6 month period.

No, people cannot just say "ok im going to be late today and just give up my 15 min break" and then there are no consequences. that's silly.

I have someone who Im ready to terminate due to excessive absenteeism but to tell you the truth, unfortunately, HR and Legal always have to get involved and they dont usually agree with our decisions regarding disciplinary action even though we are following what they have written out in the Personnel Policies. Its kind of like a catch 22.

We always talk to people about our concerns first on an informal level, see if theres anything we can do to assist them in meeting the expectations. we have even been known to adjust people's scheduled work hours in order to make it easier for them to be at work on time, etc. we make concessions and accomodations for people to the best of our ability while still making our operation a priority. but remember, this individual is one who has already been demoted due to performance and other issues and she has some resentment because of that i think that's why she replied in that way. she knows it's legal, but she's been chronic with being late herself. i opened her file today and she has about 7 write ups for tardiness and absenteeism dating back to 2001 so obviously she's just trying to incite the crowd lol

Smurfy said:
we already have a progressive disciplinary procedure in place regarding excessive absenteeism/tardiness which is spelled out in the Standard of Conduct in our Personnel Policies. We already have 4 staff on a verbal warning due to having too many call-outs/tardies in a 6 month period.

No, people cannot just say "ok im going to be late today and just give up my 15 min break" and then there are no consequences. that's silly.

I have someone who Im ready to terminate due to excessive absenteeism but to tell you the truth, unfortunately, HR and Legal always have to get involved and they dont usually agree with our decisions regarding disciplinary action even though we are following what they have written out in the Personnel Policies. Its kind of like a catch 22.

We always talk to people about our concerns first on an informal level, see if theres anything we can do to assist them in meeting the expectations. we have even been known to adjust people's scheduled work hours in order to make it easier for them to be at work on time, etc. we make concessions and accomodations for people to the best of our ability while still making our operation a priority. but remember, this individual is one who has already been demoted due to performance and other issues and she has some resentment because of that i think that's why she replied in that way. she knows it's legal, but she's been chronic with being late herself. i opened her file today and she has about 7 write ups for tardiness and absenteeism dating back to 2001 so obviously she's just trying to incite the crowd lol
sounds like she should just be fired.

I know legal/HR can be a pain in that regard, that's why I would track their start time for a week and have a sit down. At least at my company that shows a paper trail that will hold up against any sort of lawsuit action.

I know the type of environment you are in, luckily, that is not the type i am in, but we have a lot of departments that way. We have quite a few networking departing that have 7/24 support including a lot of foreign office support. The schedule is setup such that when someone is late or no call no shows it fucks no only a co workers or two, but their "customers."

Coincidentally that department has high turnover, no one stays longer than about two years, and morale is consistently low.

Lestat said:
sounds like she should just be fired.

I know legal/HR can be a pain in that regard, that's why I would track their start time for a week and have a sit down. At least at my company that shows a paper trail that will hold up against any sort of lawsuit action.

I know the type of environment you are in, luckily, that is not the type i am in, but we have a lot of departments that way. We have quite a few networking departing that have 7/24 support including a lot of foreign office support. The schedule is setup such that when someone is late or no call no shows it fucks no only a co workers or two, but their "customers."

Coincidentally that department has high turnover, no one stays longer than about two years, and morale is consistently low.
yep. actually our turnover rate is rather low for a call center. we have reps who have been working there for 6yrs, 7yrs, 4yrs, 3yrs, 5yrs and a couple of newer people who have just started in the last year or so.

Re: LMAO Ridiculous Email I got today from someone who works for someone who works fo

i have flex hours HAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Top Bottom