Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Live concerts - music - bands - artists

Lestat

MVP
EF VIP
This is a jnevin inspired thread! (believe it or not, I can find inspiration from the best and worst of places).

I enjoy live music. There are a few bands I see anytime I get a chance, there is one band I've travelled to a few places to see (Tool).

People often ask me how I can enjoy a show, when I just saw a similar one the night before.

Or they jump to the conclusion that I am a "groupie" or somehow infatuated with the band.

Those of you that are passionate about music, especially live performances, may realize that there are different types of fans.

For me, I look at a live show as a way of channeling or harnessing energy. We all give off a vibe or energy, its tough to quantify, but some people are very good at really focusing that energy into various art forms. Its around in all kinds of media, whether it be a book, painting, stand up act, live concert, music recording, sporting event, etc.

I'm still trying to really figure it out myself, because I am not sure exactly how it works, but I have a feeling its not one of those things you can really fully figure out or it loses some of the magic.

Anyway, I've seen Tool live about 30 times now in 12 years. I consider each time a treat, and the shows aren't about the individual memebers, or even the individual songs, buts really an expression of creative energy. A way to create a feeling.

I wonder this, do different people experience this in different ways? I would assume so because of the wide variety we have in individuals, and experiences are always subjective.

Because of this I can see why its easy for someone to throw around a label like "groupie" which to me brings to mind women with teased hair willing to blow a roadie to get backstage at a Poison concert.

Anyway, thanks again for the inspiration jnev, I'm curious what your thoughts may be on live music.

I always drop everything to see Metallica or Godsmack. If I'm in the city at the time, I drop everything and get tickets...I lost count of how many concerts I've been to, but I hear ya on the energy. It's like getting beat down with sound waves.

My fondest Godsmack memory was some deal I made a girl on the internets :

1. I take you to the concert.
2. You put out.

She did, and we never saw each other again :)

I've seen oasis a shitload of times. I do a lot of coke at those shows.

If armin van buuren comes anywhere within 9 hours driving distance of me I am there.

Jack Schitt said:
I always drop everything to see Metallica or Godsmack. If I'm in the city at the time, I drop everything and get tickets...I lost count of how many concerts I've been to, but I hear ya on the energy. It's like getting beat down with sound waves.

My fondest Godsmack memory was some deal I made a girl on the internets :

1. I take you to the concert.
2. You put out.

She did, and we never saw each other again :)
I love Metallica man. They are my second favorite band after Tool and I've seen them about a dozen times. I agree with you 100% there. They are able to create something special during their live shows.

Godsmack I enjoy, but I read too much about the founder, Sully, and it sort of ruined it a bit for me. Their concerts are great, good energy, their music can be invigorating, but it seemed to me that Sully just wanted so badly to be a rock start and did everything he could to put that band together, sort of as a vanity project of sorts. I can't knock the end result though.

Last one I saw was Metallica last year during Sundance. The Ramones was my first show ever. Joey Ramone was the ugliest thing I've ever seen. Like if a grouper got a wombat pregnant it'd come out better looking.

I saw Metallica and Godsmack together once at the Palace here in MI. The best part was Sully and Lars in a drum battle on a rotating stage. Probably the best show I've ever seen besides any Ted Nugent NYE Whiplash Bash.

I saw the Ramones open for Metallica during a Lolapalooza! Great show, they played their entire set start to finish without ever stopping between songs.

Joey seemed to be hiding behind his hair most of the time.

Lestat said:
I saw the Ramones open for Metallica during a Lolapalooza! Great show, they played their entire set start to finish without ever stopping between songs.

Joey seemed to be hiding behind his hair most of the time.

He did you a favor. Looking into his eyes was like looking into Medussa's eys.

Jack Schitt said:
I saw Metallica and Godsmack together once at the Palace here in MI. The best part was Sully and Lars in a drum battle on a rotating stage. Probably the best show I've ever seen besides any Ted Nugent NYE Whiplash Bash.
i've seen godsmack twice and sully did the drum off with his drummer at the time. pretty cool.

One of the coolest things I've ever witnessed. I have some pics on my phone from when I saw them in Louisville...same solo..I'll see if I can't dig them out.

This was right up there with birth for me:

Top Bottom