Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Kids/weights.......what age to start?

trimtan1

My daughter is 13 and playing some outstanding basketball already. I know if she were able to gain just a bit of strength in her upper body, she would be able to add alot to her inside game.

From what I've heard, most say wait another year before I get her into mild resistance training. What do the powers that be say on the board here?

Would appreciate any comments. Thanks!

i've been lifting consistently since i was 11. 4 years now..it didnt hurt me to start that early in any way. i dont think it would hurt as long as perfect form is used and very light weights for at least a year

Partner2.jpg

My 9 week old son joins me in my gym regularly. Not much help with a spot, though.

Joker

Re: Partner2.jpg

JOKER47 said:
My 9 week old son joins me in my gym regularly. Not much help with a spot, though.

Joker

Yeah..but what he lacks in spotting ability, he more than makes up for in INSPIRATION...I would think.

:angel:

As far as the topic of kids and weights...teaching proper form is first thing on the list. So they don't have to unlearn it later. And training the core muscles is just as important. Get them used to the movements before you add resistance. I wish I would have started sooner.

spatts said:
My son is 2, and does powercleans with 2 pound dbs. As long as his form is good, I'll take it slow and start young. :)

Need to talk to Santa....he's ready for the 3lbers....

spatts said:
I started training heavy when I was about 13, and under the direction of my AAU sprinting coach.

My son is 2, and does powercleans with 2 pound dbs. As long as his form is good, I'll take it slow and start young. :)

I don't want to come across like I'm belittling you son - but I can powerclean like waay more than that.
I could probably do... 100lbs or more... easily.

HappyScrappy said:

I don't want to come across like I'm belittling you son - but I can powerclean like waay more than that.
I could probably do... 100lbs or more... easily.

I also don't mean to belittle your son, but I'll bet that I can run faster than him too.

yeah, I meant to say "your" there - if you check on a few other threads, you can see that it is all cool though because I'm retarded.
so I got that going for me.

and I could totally run faster than him. as long as it was over 800m.

and I'd give fairly good odds at me being able to beat his ass in fisticuffs too.

Re: Re: Partner2.jpg

Hannibal said:

Yeah..but what he lacks in spotting ability, he more than makes up for in INSPIRATION...I would think.

Funny you should mention that. Today was shoulders, he was in the garage with me, and I hit a PR on power cleans. (185x3) Felt pretty easy.

Yup, he does inspire me.:)

Originally posted by spatts

My son is 2, and does powercleans with 2 pound dbs. As long as his form is good, I'll take it slow and start young.

I think that is one of the coolest things I have ever heard.:)
I can't wait til my son is that age.:)

Joker

Top Bottom