Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Job Interviews

-SD-

EXT ELITE ROB
Chairman Member
I will be having job interviews starting this month and wanted a few tips since for all intents and purposes Ive never had an important job interview. These are for accounting related jobs.
As far as researching the companies beforehand is there anything in particular I should know?
When the interviewer says "is there anything you want to say?" at the end of the interview, is there anything in particular or just the normal "thanks for the opportunity, etc"?
Anything else I need to know to give me an edge?
Thanks!

superdave said:
I will be having job interviews starting this month and wanted a few tips since for all intents and purposes Ive never had an important job interview. These are for accounting related jobs.
As far as researching the companies beforehand is there anything in particular I should know?
When the interviewer says "is there anything you want to say?" at the end of the interview, is there anything in particular or just the normal "thanks for the opportunity, etc"?
Anything else I need to know to give me an edge?
Thanks!
You should definitely research the company you're applying with. Start with their website and then check then out on google, etc. This is all common sense i suppose. Also, make sure you have questions or things you want to know or ask about the job, the company, etc before you get there. Nothing worse (as an interviewer) than interviewing someone who has no questions themselves. Having decent and relevant questions is definitely a good sign in an interview.

What the Blue One said, plus eye contact, good posture, speak strongly and articulately, but most of all relax and smile a little.

hanselthecaretaker said:
What the Blue One said, plus eye contact, good posture, speak strongly and articulately, but most of all relax and smile a little.
yeah totally be relaxed, even if the person who is interviewing you seems somewhat nervous themselves. relaxed and confident and pleasant and well spoken is the way to be IMO

never ask questions at an interview. who the fuck are you to be asking questions? keep your eyes on the floor at all times and nod politely from time to time.

and don't talk.

The best thing you can do for youself is to project confidence without getting fake about it or bleeding into cockiness....

That's #1.

lol at jackangel.

I won't pretend to know about accounting interviews, so my tips may miss the mark (I am in marketing and in marketing you need to be ready to pitch a few ideas and show your creativity during interviews). But, in general:

- Do your research. Know all the basics about the company (HQ, offices, # of employees, clients, etc). Pay attention to any major moves the company has made recently (like acquisitions - check the trade journals, not just the company's site or press materials). Also have an idea about the trends in your industry so you can talk some shop. Impress em a bit.

- Know your resume/school history inside and out.

- Be confident. Most peeps are nervous or scared to be ballsy during an interview. If you walk the confident/cocky line well (more towards the confident side) you should make a good impression.

- Make some fucking jokes, man. Show some fucking enthusiasm. (Once again, accntng is prob different than marketing in this regard, but enthusiasm/personality tends to get you further in this world than just talent)

- Be prepared to answer the difficult questions. I'm sure you've seen all those "typical interview" questions (What are your strengths/weaknesses, why should we hire you, what class did you hate/love the most, etc). I have rarely been asked these, but it's best to at least prepare an answer for them in the case you are asked them.

- Exhibit strong physical posturing and body language.

- Have several questions to ask the interviewer. This is also your chance to show that you've done your homework about the company/industry. Don't leave without asking questions, that's always a "point off" checkmark when I interview people.

- Have fun.

Top Bottom