Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

An issue I have with Maslow's hierarchy of needs

KillahBee

The most basic need is Physiological - check.

The third need (since it is basically a relatively linear theory) is Love/Belonging - check.

The top need, the highest of the "growth" needs is self actualization - check.

Issue - The basic concept here is that the higher needs only come into focus once all the needs that are lower down in the pyramid are mainly or entirely satisfied. Well, why is self actualization not a more basic need? What happens to the few people who are circuited so that Love/Belonging is flip-flopped with Self Actualization? Is this not a "healthier" line of development??

Maslow's thought process was too....well, physiological. Must've been nice to have had it so easy.

agreed,I just dont believe his is correct,has some potential though, maybe he means in the end to be completely happy all those things must be present.

I think one can be self actualized without the others being there

i think people with your flip-flop theory are the ones who find love generally later than their peers, since they have taken the time to trully understand who they are and what it is they want before filling the voids

in essence these people are supplementing their happiness and acceptance with love, rather than trying to be happy and accepted via "love"

Just because it may be healthier that way doesn't mean most of us are wired that way. My life would have been easier had I put self actualization in front of love, for sure. I guess most peeps would have it easier that way.

Top Bottom