Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

An issue I have with Maslow's hierarchy of needs

KillahBee said:
lol, did you read my post at all?!!!

lolol. i was reciting them in my head and typing at the same time. sorry.

this one could be debated forever...which came first - the chicken or the egg kind of thing.

and can you really say that life would be easier if you had self actualization before love? who here has not been loved first - from the moment they were born? it doesn't refer only to love in a relationship.

HeatherRae said:
Well, perhaps it is harder to hold off of love and work on the self actualization. I'm not sure it would be harder though. Shit, I'll take your word on it. I have probably really screwed up at times and put it before the food, shelter clothing...etc...lol. I'm a fool when in love.

I believe (from experience) that it is VERY difficult. You are swimming against the stream, most around you do not even come close to understanding you, constantly misunderstood, and always made to feel like you are not "doing it the right way", even though deep down you know you are

the-short-one said:
lolol. i was reciting them in my head and typing at the same time. sorry.

this one could be debated forever...which came first - the chicken or the egg kind of thing.

and can you really say that life would be easier if you had self actualization before love? who here has not been loved first - from the moment they were born? it doesn't refer only to love in a relationship.

lol, old hag.

I agree, somewhat. I am reading it more along the lines of belonging and love later in life - after you have received the parental love (not that it ever ceases). Thinking more along the lines of typical friendships, BF/GF relationships, join-the-crowd mentality, etc

His theory is correct for himself and other people who've grown up with few bumps in the road. Others who were forced to take a detour have seen and experienced things that more or less force them to look at it all from a different angle.

the highest need is self-transcendence, above self actualisation.

self-transcendence = to connect to something beyond the ego or to help others find self-fulfillment and realize their potential

KillahBee said:
I believe (from experience) that it is VERY difficult. You are swimming against the stream, most around you do not even come close to understanding you, constantly misunderstood, and always made to feel like you are not "doing it the right way", even though deep down you know you are
yes, I get what you are saying. There is an old Chinese proverb which says, "The nail that sticks up gets pounded down." I've experienced that lots in my life. I'm sure that your friends who have gone against the grain have experienced the same thing.

KillahBee said:
lol, old hag.

I agree, somewhat. I am reading it more along the lines of belonging and love later in life - after you have received the parental love (not that it ever ceases). Thinking more along the lines of typical friendships, BF/GF relationships, join-the-crowd mentality, etc

my belief is that it's in the right order. I only speak from self experience.

hanselthecaretaker said:
His theory is correct for himself and other people who've grown up with few bumps in the road. Others who were forced to take a detour have seen and experienced things that more or less force them to look at it all from a different angle.
I never thought of it that way, but I believe you make a really valid point.

the-short-one said:
my belief is that it's in the right order. I only speak from self experience.

Oh I am not saying there is a right or wrong. Just opening it up for discussion. And that is how I perceived it.

Also, I know about the self-transcendence level. Not sure if it was in the original theory though. But I like it. A LOT

KillahBee said:
Oh I am not saying there is a right or wrong. Just opening it up for discussion. And that is how I perceived it.

Also, I know about the self-transcendence level. Not sure if it was in the original theory though. But I like it. A LOT

I agree. I think it's something everyone should strive towards.

Top Bottom