Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

I'm here at college with a problem with my roommate, can you guys help?

Iron Thrower

Ok here's the deal:

I just moved into my dorm room on wednesday. I met my roommate for the first time as we were moving in and he seemed like a nice guy.

Well, after my parents left we started unpacking everything and he asks me if I smoke weed and I say no. I asked him if he does and he said that he does quite a bit. Then he proceeds to pull out his 420 signs and other paraphanalia. Then he unpacks his pipe. So at this point I ask him just how often he smokes and he says about 5 times a week.

So here is my problem. I don't have any problem with what people do on their own. To each his own. But if something is conflicting with me, then I will take notice. I am not all hardcore straight edge or some religious fanatic, but I choose not to smoke weed and I don't really want to be around anything like that. We are in a substance free dorm but he could still come home all blazed or whatever and I just don't want to be around that.

So what should I do? I would like to change rooms. How do I do this without him getting the wrong idea. I mean I will probobly see him on campus so I don't want it too be awkward. It's just kinda hard because we are totally opposite. He listens to rap all the time and he plays tennis and golf. So my metal music doesn't go over too well with him and I can't really talk to him about working out or anything like that. What do you guys recommend? As it is right now I don't feel very comfortable.

Ok, first you must answer the following question:

IS IT POSSIBLE TO GET A DORM ROOM CHANGE? Does your school allow it, etc?

As for worrying about seeing him on campus and it being awkward, etc - why should you care? If he's not the kind of person you want to be around, you shouldn't really let whether he will like you or not affect your decision. You're probably going to a large school - what are the chances of you seeing him again?

Let me give you an example. Last semester I had a group project to do in my computer programming class. I was the leader and gave this one guy the job of doing the network code. He did it, but it didn't work, and he couldn't get it to work by the due date. I had no choice but to give him a 0% contribution to the group on my mandatory group report to the professor because it wouldn't be fair to the rest of the group that we all did stuff and he'd get the same credit even though his portion didn't work.

The result? He got a crappy grade on his group project.

I haven't seen him since, AND we have the same major and are roughly at the same point in our college career.

So, in my example, this fellow has a reason to not like me (albeit a not really valid one) and a reason for me to "feel awkward" etc. (although I doubt I will feel awkward).

Now, let's think of YOUR guy. He smokes weed and listens to rap. You don't like his weed or rap, and he doesn't like your metal. You think he's going to care if you switch rooms? His next roommate will probably be a smoking rap listener since apparently everyone except you and me smokes and listens to rap nowadays.

Make the move and don't worry about it. I don't know about you, but I'd rather spend 4 years going to the same school with someone who doesn't like me than spend even a fraction of the time smelling the stench of weed and listening to the cacophony known as rap music.

-Warik

first of all this guy will be happy if you leave the room. if he doesnt smoke in the room i dont really see a problem. lots of freshmen hate their roommates. if you want you can report him and get the room to yourself. i wouldnt do that though unless he was a real asshole. dont worry about feeling weird around campus. i see people that hate my guts every day and i dont give a shit. i saw my freshman roommate the other day passing in the streets and he said hi and i just laughed back at him. its no big deal.

Warik said:
Ok, first you must answer the following question:

IS IT POSSIBLE TO GET A DORM ROOM CHANGE? Does your school allow it, etc?

As for worrying about seeing him on campus and it being awkward, etc - why should you care? If he's not the kind of person you want to be around, you shouldn't really let whether he will like you or not affect your decision. You're probably going to a large school - what are the chances of you seeing him again?

Let me give you an example. Last semester I had a group project to do in my computer programming class. I was the leader and gave this one guy the job of doing the network code. He did it, but it didn't work, and he couldn't get it to work by the due date. I had no choice but to give him a 0% contribution to the group on my mandatory group report to the professor because it wouldn't be fair to the rest of the group that we all did stuff and he'd get the same credit even though his portion didn't work.

The result? He got a crappy grade on his group project.

I haven't seen him since, AND we have the same major and are roughly at the same point in our college career.

So, in my example, this fellow has a reason to not like me (albeit a not really valid one) and a reason for me to "feel awkward" etc. (although I doubt I will feel awkward).

Now, let's think of YOUR guy. He smokes weed and listens to rap. You don't like his weed or rap, and he doesn't like your metal. You think he's going to care if you switch rooms? His next roommate will probably be a smoking rap listener since apparently everyone except you and me smokes and listens to rap nowadays.

Make the move and don't worry about it. I don't know about you, but I'd rather spend 4 years going to the same school with someone who doesn't like me than spend even a fraction of the time smelling the stench of weed and listening to the cacophony known as rap music.

-Warik

I will probobly be able to change, I just need to talk to my RD and see what needs to be done.

There are only 700 freshman so I would most likely run into him. But if I want out there is only one thing I can do. Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

TheSalami said:
first of all this guy will be happy if you leave the room. if he doesnt smoke in the room i dont really see a problem. lots of freshmen hate their roommates. if you want you can report him and get the room to yourself. i wouldnt do that though unless he was a real asshole. dont worry about feeling weird around campus. i see people that hate my guts every day and i dont give a shit. i saw my freshman roommate the other day passing in the streets and he said hi and i just laughed back at him. its no big deal.

Yeah, I understand what your saying. I like to think that I am the kind of person that is strong enough to not let him bother me if he starts saying shit about me leaving. I am not going to report him, I just want to get my own room or get a different roommate. BTW...What school do you go to? What about you Warik?

thefantom1 said:
Hey Warik.. Add me to the list that doesn't smoke weed or listen to rap !!! :)

You have been added. You will now receive 2-3 forms of spam mail daily for the rest of your life. To be removed from the list, please send e-mail to [email protected] (note: e-mail address changes every 10 seconds, act quickly!)

-Warik

i just smoked some sweet green :D and here's what i have to say on this matter ...

we're all god's children so lets not fuck with eachother ... to each his own ... so let that dude smoke dat ganja all he wants and u shoot roids all u want ... while others will do both :D :D :D

that was my rant now im off to bed ... im too relaxed right now to think

Top Bottom