Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

how young is too young?

Buddy_Christ

how young is too young to start teaching a kid how to shoot a gun? my son will turn 5 this year and i'd like to get him started young so he can learn right. Was thinking about finding him a single shot 22 rifle to learn on. since a 22 rifle is relatively small and has no kick, so he'd be able to handle it easier and learn without worrying about a hefty recoil that'd put him on his ass. plus i'd want a single shot rifle so he can't load on his own. Just a safety precaution on my part...keep all the rounds out of his reach so he wouldn't be able to load it himself.

don't get me wrong, i wouldn't just hand him the gun with a round and let him do whatever he wanted. i'd be over him like a hawk supervising his every move. i would just make sure i was holding onto all the ammo so when i go to put some rounds downrange he doesn't try to take the initiative and get himself loaded up for the next shot.

I'm not dead set on doing this yet, as i need to make sure he's mature enough to take to the range, but i do want to start him early so he gains respect for guns at a very early age and can become a good shooter.

opinions?

If he's a big lad that can hold the weight by himself...
I don't think there is a 'too young'. Maybe too young to hunt/kill.

Are you going to put a gun rack on his tricycle?;)

I have no idea maing. But good luck whatever you decide

Ulcasterdropout said:
If he's a big lad that can hold the weight by himself...
I don't think there is a 'too young'. Maybe too young to hunt/kill.

he's a pretty small kid. actually, i think he's average height/weight for his age. he'd have to learn to shoot in a supported position for a while though, like on one of the tables at the range with a few sandbags down to support the barrel.

JerseyArt said:
Are you going to put a gun rack on his tricycle?;)

I have no idea maing. But good luck whatever you decide

no, i'm going to let him play with that rack on your chest. your gyno is out of control again.

crak600 said:
how young is too young to start teaching a kid how to shoot a gun? my son will turn 5 this year and i'd like to get him started young so he can learn right. Was thinking about finding him a single shot 22 rifle to learn on. since a 22 rifle is relatively small and has no kick, so he'd be able to handle it easier and learn without worrying about a hefty recoil that'd put him on his ass. plus i'd want a single shot rifle so he can't load on his own. Just a safety precaution on my part...keep all the rounds out of his reach so he wouldn't be able to load it himself.

don't get me wrong, i wouldn't just hand him the gun with a round and let him do whatever he wanted. i'd be over him like a hawk supervising his every move. i would just make sure i was holding onto all the ammo so when i go to put some rounds downrange he doesn't try to take the initiative and get himself loaded up for the next shot.

I'm not dead set on doing this yet, as i need to make sure he's mature enough to take to the range, but i do want to start him early so he gains respect for guns at a very early age and can become a good shooter.

opinions?
id say wait untill at least 10. i spent my early eyars in austin and thats about the age the kids started going hunting with their dads (and i doubt they even fired it themselves, probably more of a dads arms around him kids hands on the trigger dad steadying it for him)....or maybe actually 8-ish. and then 10 real firing themselves.

anyhow make sure he understands what a gun does and about death and the seriousness of it before teaching him to use a tool capable of delivering it

the real question is............. how young is too young for a 5yr old to run 12wks of test/fina cycle with the first 4wks 150mg of Abombs. I had my 10yr old on that cycle he loved the pumps :rainbow:

Last edited:
starting to think that a pellet gun might be a good starter, then move him up to a 22. i could keep the pellet gun rules the same as real gun rules and only let him shoot it on the range. that'd give him some practice time learning the actual rules of gun safety before i put a weapon capable of killng someone in his hands.

plus it would give me an excuse to buy a shitpod of ammo and go to the range on a regular basis.

Top Bottom