Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

how hard is it to install an additional hard drive in my PC

AAP

Plat Hero
Platinum
You know me.

You know my, umm.. "limitations" with computers.

I want to purchase a new 300g hard drive to install internally.

Think I can do it, in like a day?

oh yeah, you probably wont be going with a SATA drive - so disregard the SATA harddrive I posted.

UA_Iron said:
oh yeah, you probably wont be going with a SATA drive - so disregard the SATA harddrive I posted.

Got any links to 1 gig stick of memory cheap? Would like to purchase two for my Dell Dimension 3000

A typical PC can handle two pairs of "IDE devices" -- hard drives and CD or DVD drives. Two IDE sockets on the main board, one pair of drives each.

One of those is probably handling your CD/DVD drive already, and it's healthier if you don't try to mix a CD and a hard drive on the same cable. (You can usually get away with it, but if you're "unlucky" I don't want to be responsible for it.) Recent PCs will ship with a DVD and a CD burner on one cable, one hard drive on the other. If you only have one hard drive now, you're good to add one more, no problem.

If you already have two, it would be time to call in a geeky friend.

if you are going to pay the money for the hard drive, have it installed. i wouldn't take any chances. of course, I am blonde, so I naturally screw things up...

digger said:
A typical PC can handle two pairs of "IDE devices" -- hard drives and CD or DVD drives. Two IDE sockets on the main board, one pair of drives each.

One of those is probably handling your CD/DVD drive already, and it's healthier if you don't try to mix a CD and a hard drive on the same cable. (You can usually get away with it, but if you're "unlucky" I don't want to be responsible for it.) Recent PCs will ship with a DVD and a CD burner on one cable, one hard drive on the other. If you only have one hard drive now, you're good to add one more, no problem.

If you already have two, it would be time to call in a geeky friend.

Hang on....

My PC has one 160g HD, 1 CD/DVD ROM drive, 1 CD/DVD RW (recordable) drive.

Top Bottom