Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How to find older versions of Internet Explorer?

Tarheel

So, my father's desktop is a few years old, and wont run the current version of IE. Does anyone know of a place where I could go to download IE 5.whatever (5.0?)

check the Msn website download section. I think they've kept the old stuff online.

See the problem is his computer is about, 5 years old. Since then, the newer(est)? browsers are written differently or something, due to some federal law. So when he recently reformatted, his circa 1998 IE browser isn't worth shit, could not access a single page. Luckily the ancient version of Nutscrape Navigator worked good enough for me to download a newer (but not newest) version of Netscape Communicator. Still, not as fast as 5.0 seemed to be on our computer. IE 6.0 is too new, as is the newest Netscape.

The Microsoft.com IE webpage claims to have older versions there, but it said 5.0 is now in the, well they had some fancy word for saying it was in the retirement home of browsers and no longer available for download.

"Internet Explorer 5.5 Service Pack 2 (SP2) has now entered the Extended Support phase of the Windows Desktop Product Life—Cycle Policies.

When a version of Internet Explorer enters the Extended Support phase, this means the browser version will no longer be available to download, but will continue to receive no-charge security updates until the end of the Extended Support period."

Cocksucking microsoft.

http://www.softwarepatch.com/internet/IE55.html

Description
After completely removing Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2 from the Microsoft site, Microsoft re-instated it in late April 2003. The catch? The new download is for Windows Me only. You can't use this download on Windows 95, 98 or 2000. Windows 98 and 2000 users can update to Internet Explorer 6 SP1. Sadly, Windows 95 users are left out in the cold - IE6 doesn't run on Windows 95. This is not our choice, it is a decision by Microsoft. Please don't send us cranky emails - we have enough crankiness to last an eternity.

Important note: this download will be remove on Dec 31, 2003 in accordance with Microsoft’s support cycle. Again, this is their decision, not ours.

IE5.5 SP2 is delivered by 'active' setup. Download the small file (ie5setup.exe), then double-click on it to select which components you want from the IE5.5 package - it will then start to download these components. You can run this file at anytime - so if your current connection is slow or the server is a little overloaded, it may be worthwhile running the program at a later date. If you want to download IE5.5, the best procedure is to download the setup file, backup your system and data files and then run the setup to begin the full download and setup.

If you can find an MS Office 2000 CD you'll find IE5 on Disk 1. I probably have an old Technet CD with earlier versions on it if you're still looking.

Last edited:
Top Bottom