Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How do you convert a secure wireless network into an open one

Lao Tzu

My dad has verizon DSL and a wireless network, however it is password encrypted. He gave me his password, and it doesn't work. How can I convert the network into an open network (we live in the country, nobody will steal his bandwidth) so that I can get online with my laptop?

do you want a way that will keep his settings, or do you just want to say fuck it and erase them all?

If you get into the wifi router then you should be able to disable the security. At that stage you should be able to connect to the router and then add yourself to its list of trusted clients before enabling security from an access list rather than via password.

If you can't get into the router then you're stuck although some allow a backdoor via a serial port.

I want to keep his setting mostly, I just want to be able to connect to his DSL line w/o having to have a password

blut wump said:
If you get into the wifi router then you should be able to disable the security. At that stage you should be able to connect to the router and then add yourself to its list of trusted clients before enabling security from an access list rather than via password.

If you can't get into the router then you're stuck although some allow a backdoor via a serial port.

no clue what that means to do. I was hoping there'd be a button to click in network connections somewhere that changed his security settings.

Lao Tzu said:
no clue what that means to do. I was hoping there'd be a button to click in network connections somewhere that changed his security settings.

You can reset it to factory defaults via a button on the back of the router in most cases.

Lao Tzu said:
his. Verizon DSL offers wifi on all its modems I guess.

ok, get on his computer.

start -> run -> 'cmd' -> ok

this will bring you to the command prompt. once there, type 'ipconfig /all'

look for the default gateway. copy that number down.

now, open up firefox or IE and type the default gateway in the address bar.

a window will popup asking for a login and password. try the following combinations (hope and pray he didnt change the default router password).

admin/admin
admin/password
admin/abc123

if one of those worked, you should be logged into the router. if this works, tell me...and i will help you from there.

Top Bottom