Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Help me build my sniper rifle

guards

Platinum
Hey y'all, I'm in the midst of trying to build my sniper rifle for competition. I used to use a Parker-Hale, but i am getting sick of the wood. I'm gonna start from scratch.

This is what I might start with:

Remington 700 VS DM

OR

Savage 110P LE

HE bipod

Leopold 10 x 40 mildot scope

What do you guys think? I haven't decided on a caliber yet though. My old gun was a .308, but i am thinking of something bigger like a 7mm mag. Any opinions?

What parameters does this rifle have to fit? What kind of ranges, shooting conditions, etc., is it going to be used for?

I'm partial to Model 700. There is some kind of "HS Precision" stock that is suposed to be what the put on the Model 700 Police rifle. I'm not sure how it compares to the VS stock.

The .308 is probably perfectly adequate for your use, especially if your just shooting paper. The 7mm mag is no slouch when it comes to acuracy - it shoots pretty damn flat - and it pack a bit more punch depending on how you load. I've seen many .300 mags being used for police applications.

Last edited:
.308 is widely accepted as one of the most accurate rounds out there... I think it is most important HOW you break the gun in, and how you match the loads to the gun...

There is a discrete science to it...

Model 700 Rem is push feed,Model 70 controlled round feed.(Jams are rare with a push feed,but if your luck is like mine,you'll get it when you absolutely do not want one).

You want the .308,civil emergency,the dead walk the earth,whatever.You want to find ammo and not have to break into 10 gunstores to get it.

Scrap the fixed 10X.If you have to shoot at 30 yards,you'll not be able to make out pants or shirt at that distance.Work with a 3x9 or above.

Start reloading,your loads will be far superior to what you can buy and you can cater to your rifles needs.

Firelap the bore,replace the factory trigger w/ a Jewell,fiberglass stock,and your all set.

And don't shoot anyone!!!!

Mad

Remington VS SS BD .300 magnum. This caliber is superior to the .308. Flat shooting, high velocity. Very versatile. Otherwise if you're lucky enough to find one go for the .338 Lapua.

BTW what'S wrong with your Parker-Hale ? is a 82 (like the canadian army) or a 85 ? Man thats one fine riffle IMO.

manny78 said:
Remington VS SS BD .300 magnum. This caliber is superior to the .308. Flat shooting, high velocity. Very versatile. Otherwise if you're lucky enough to find one go for the .338 Lapua.

BTW what'S wrong with your Parker-Hale ? is a 82 (like the canadian army) or a 85 ? Man thats one fine riffle IMO.

.338 Lapua? Are you nuts? Yes you are. He will have to call it a day after 6 shots. Thats a super long range sniper load.

6mm PPC is the most accurate. Smaller flash hole is the secret.

.300 mags,Win or Weatherby or even the new Shorts are awesome calibers.The lapua? Same deal,awesome.But these are long range,benchrest or hunting calibers.

If I had a B/C class mule deer or elk at 600yds I'd trade ya my car and 1st born for that .338 Lapua over my .308.

The dude is asking for a "Sniper rifle".Which means to me a weapon that is reliable,accurate uses ammo that is easily acquired.

If you have a few bucks,get a Sauer 202.Sweet rifle.interchangable barrels,super accurate and if you hunt or want to fool with the 7mm mag you can.

Surprised that we know so much?
Some have more firepower than some police depts and I would never hurt anyone unless me or mine is endangered.Just like the guns is all.

Mad

Testosterone boy said:

.338 Lapua? Are you nuts? Yes you are. He will have to call it a day after 6 shots. Thats a super long range sniper load.

6mm PPC is the most accurate. Smaller flash hole is the secret.

I was going to suggest him a McMillian Tactical or Barret .50 but both calibers are banned here. He said a sinnper riffle. The Lapua has less recoil and its more accurate. Otherwise I'll stick with my first option, the .300 win mag.

Top Bottom