Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

First Motorcycle reccomendations....

Becoming

Meat Sandwich
Platinum
So I still can't convince my wife that me getting one is a good idea, but I have since decided it woudl be fat as hell to have one... any reccomendations? Pros/Cons of specific bikes?

First a couple thoughts
1-I kind of prefer more cruiser style than street bikes... but the right street bike would be a possibility, also interested in customizing possiblities if available, I think I like the low, drag bar look more...
2-I would want something that will give me more bang for my buck, nothing too crazy pricey (a good first bike)
3-I am kind of a bigger dude, so a 450 would look like Brock Lesnar on a schwinn (okay exaggerating a little, but you get my drift)... but at the same time I know it would be dumb to get something too big, so I need reccomendations in this department as well, maybe around 750-800ccs?
4-new vs used? thoughts
5-hook up a pic so I can see what you are talking about...

(PS yeah I would take classes and helmet and all that stuff, please keep it to bike rec's only please)

Go with a Ducati Monster600.

It's considered a gentleman's street bike.

Becoming, what is your height and weight? Have you already taken a motorcycle safety course?

800ccs is pretty damn small of a bike unless you're hella skinny. If you're in the 200lb range, I'd not get anything less than 1100ccs and you're likely going to want more.

The next thing you'll have to figure out is your budget. There are a lot of great cruisers on the market and everyone has different tastes and budgets. The best thing you can do is visit different dealerships and look at and sit on the bikes. Try that at most Harley shops and you're likely to be tossed out though. I think they figure that since they can charge you 5 - 8K more for the bike you shouldn't be able to sit on it.

The other thing you can do it attend local motorcycle meets. The larger ones offer a free ride on the bikes.

Have you ever ridden before? If not, don't buy an expensive Harley for your first bike, buy something cheap to learn on that you don't want to keep. Once you have some experience riding (in traffic) then look for the bike of your dreams.

I've seen too many people start on brand new Harleys only to dump them twice a week for the first month. That's not a small bill...

SSS, just under 6'2, just over 260 these days... I thought getting something bigger like 1100cc would be asking for trouble.. I would take all the classes and stuff first, haven't taken any to date yet..

Yeah I didn't think a Harley first off, they are way too pricey... I was thinking of some kind of jap cruiser? any reccomendations people like? also what about used (just as a first bike)?

I knew a guy that had a ducati, they look cool enough but he was a real douchebag, and cruisers look tougher too...

The Monster has a great look. But if you're eyeing a Harley, then Ducati isn't for you.

Becoming said:
SSS, just under 6'2, just over 260 these days... I thought getting something bigger like 1100cc would be asking for trouble.. I would take all the classes and stuff first, haven't taken any to date yet..

Yeah I didn't think a Harley first off, they are way too pricey... I was thinking of some kind of jap cruiser? any reccomendations people like? also what about used (just as a first bike)?

I knew a guy that had a ducati, they look cool enough but he was a real douchebag, and cruisers look tougher too...

I think something like a Suzuki Bandit 1200 would make a decent first bike for a bigger rider. It's a street bike, but not a crotch rocket, fast, but docile enough to learn on.

Forge is right.

would think about a used suzuki intruder 1400. It is a good size bike for your size and it has good power. After you get proficient on it than buy the hawg or custom.

Code- they do look cool bro - just not my style I think...

Mr. DB - thanks for the reccomendation, so everyone is agreement to go over 1100CC even for a first bike?

Top Bottom