Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

The fashion must-haves.

D

Debaser

This is essentially a list of basics that every guy should have, in my opinion. Not counting socks, underwear etc. Of course you can have a lot more, but I would consider this a good foundation for a man wanting to better himself.

1. Two pairs of jeans. One that's somewhat conservative with maybe a vintage appeal (I have a pair of 5 year old diesel kratt's that look and feel great), and another, more rockstar pair. Paper denim is still probably my overall favorite brand. True Religion and Rogan are good, Earnest Sewn looks promising.

2. Shoes: A black lace-up. Not necessarily a leather-soled dress shoe like Edward Green, maybe something more hip like Prada. No square toes. Then a pair of sneakers. I'm a sneaker junkie...a few of my favorites would be the limited edition vandals, Onitsuka Tigers, and I'm loving just about anything by Medium.

3. 1-2 suits. This depends more on your age/job. A stylish but conservative charcoal suit for special occasions would be good. Then more of a modern suit for going out in. Something slim and maybe black. Dior or Helmut Lang are nice of course, but don't underestimate the value of e-bay and mid-priced stuff like Emporio Armani.

4. A really cool blazer. Maybe a navy one with brass buttons. Or a velvet blazer. Corduroy looks pretty sweet too, as long as it's a modern-minded brand and not your father's corduroy jacket.

5. A leather jacket. Maybe a brown, vintage Schott bomber. Or a sleek Cafe racer striped jacket.

6. An overcoat. Although I dig the black/white tweed herringbone coats that are popular this season (Michael by Michael Kors has a cheaper one, Dior and Dolce have high prices but swank offerings), a dark charcoal one might be a bit more practical. Banana Republic has a decent one for cheap, if you have more money or search on ebay try brands like John Varvatos or maybe Zegna or Jil Sander.

7. 2 plain dress shirts, white and light blue. Get a great brand though that's very slim-fitting (gucci, valentino). Or custom-made is good. You can actually get shirt's custom made cheap on target online, with a surprising amount of options. It won't be superfine egyptian cotton, but it will be very form-fitting, and that's what matters.

8. 2-3 ties, depending on if you have a job that requires a tie. Get a cool tie for going out...maybe even a skinny dior or helmut. Get a conservative tie for everything else, like a pin-dot. Depending on your job, you might want a third tie, with an interesting pattern or even paisley.

9. A great watch. This is really up to you and your finances. If you have the bank, I really dig Zenith and IWC. Otherwise, it really just depends on how much you want to spend. But keep in mind it may last you the rest of your life if you get quality.

10. A cashmere sweater. A nice one. Malo, Jil Sander, Pringle, or TSE. Navy would be best due to versatility. I love v-necks, but for cashmere I would get a crew-neck to sport a very minimalist look. One that will get you touched a lot.

11. A cool t-shirt or two. I like a lot of the threadless.com designs that are only 15 bucks, but nice ringspun tees are always cool. The sky's the limit.

12. A pimp button-down shirt. 7 diamonds is terrible. Think Paul Smith, Etro, or maybe Energie.

Anyone have anything to add? I think this would make for a very good basic wardrobe. If a guy got these standard pieces he would already be miles ahead of 99.8% of the rest.

At least those boots that Paris has been wearing aren't on the list..

luxury said:
It all depends on your style. There are no universal fashion must-haves.

Whatever. You're saying that a man can have a complete wardrobe without any jeans or sneakers?

I agree with most of the list.

What I don't agree...
Shoes: A black lace-up .. Loafers is where it's at.

A leather jacket ... nah not everyone is preppy and if u buy one make it white.

The rest is perfect. for anyone
although I never wear button-down shirt cause they are played out(in clubs)... I know I'm harsh and it doesn't make sense (like saying jeans are played out). I still have Dress shirts by Energie and 4You, but I rarely wear them, I feel like it's last year.
BtW 4YOU scandinavia makes the coolest shirts(if your still into that look).

Debaser said:
Whatever. You're saying that a man can have a complete wardrobe without any jeans or sneakers?

If I met a man who didn't own at least one pair of jeans and sneakers I'd be :worried:

I agree that a wardrobe should have alittle bit of everything, but as far as which exact pieces, that varies from city to city.

i don't think i agree with some of your style choices, but yeah, that's a pretty good foundation for a wardrobe there....

i'm all about the square toe shoes

Top Bottom