Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

[fail]turbines[/fail]

That's 'cause those weren't 400% efficient all-natural pot smoke turbines.

This is yet another argument supporting the legalization of pot.

My father told me yesterday there's a "combined cycle steam drum" at Ga. Power plant McDonnough they just killed. He's been retired almost two years, but still in the loop. Plant's new and not yet on the grid. Did a couple million dollars worth of damage and there will be a few engineers in the unemployment line soon.

My father told me yesterday there's a "combined cycle steam drum" at Ga. Power plant McDonnough they just killed. He's been retired almost two years, but still in the loop. Plant's new and not yet on the grid. Did a couple million dollars worth of damage and there will be a few engineers in the unemployment line soon.

So it was a failed project they are killing?

I went to school with an electrical engineer who went on to work for Georgia Power. I sure hope he wasn't one of them.

So it was a failed project they are killing?

I went to school with an electrical engineer who went on to work for Georgia Power. I sure hope he wasn't one of them.

No, they destroyed it accidentally, hence the termination(s). The Southern Company has been upgrading old plants the last several years and this was part of a bunch of new equipment they've installed at McDonough. They've retired a lot of old (read: expensive) engineers like my father for cost saving purposes which has left them with a deficit of sufficiently experienced old guys. The young engineers used to call my father all the time to ask him things they couldn't deal with, and now there's no one to call. Things go boom.

I think I flew on that plane. :worried:

I am not getting on an A380 again until they fix that shit.

b0und (damn)

Well, it most likely would be a high-cycle fatigue failure. The turbine wheels are spun to 110% of maximum allowable rpm both as a check of the assembled wheel and to set up residual compressive stresses in the turbine blades to significantly lower the maximum tensile stresses during operation. There could have been a material flaw at the molecular level that, over time, could have grown to its critical crack length causing the turbine blade to release. Given that the released turbine blade was contained is testament to the design of the engine, considering that in the turbine section the temperatures are in excess of 1500 degrees in places and the turbine wheels are spinning at 30,000rpm, it could have been catastrophic (loss of aircraft) had the design not been able to contain the released blade assembly.

Top Bottom