Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Ever been to an open casket funeral? (to open, or not open? That is the question)

big_bad_buff

When you see that lifeless person you once knew for the first time, how does it make you feel?

I’v been to two, and I don’t like it, I don’t like it at all. Someone died in my moms church, and I knew her a little, but knew her husband pretty good I guess.

Would it be wrong for me to say I don’t want to go if it’s an open casket? Seriously I can’t fucking stand sitting there looking at a dead corps for an hour. Even if it was my own mother I’d have that thing closed. There is no point in seeing someone who doesn’t look like that person anymore.

My dad had an open casket viewing, but it was closed during the funeral.

My step-brother had an open casket. That was hard because he died pretty young (20s) and I never in my life saw him in a suit but his wife put him in one. Guess it doesn't matter, but it didn't seem like him in there. I'm pretty sure he'd have preferred to be wearing his Levis and motorcycle jacket.

I've only been to one open-casket and I didn't like it either. Just me being selfish though, it upsets me to see that person like that, I'd rather imagine them in a better place.

But if you're close to the people involved, it shouldn't matter if they asked you to carry the dead body on your back the entire time, you do it, in my opinion.

I have been to lots of those.

I myself find it tough as sometimes the person looks nothing like they really did.

Most I have been to close it during the service.

There is no wrong decision here, we all handle these things different and only you can decide what to do for you.

2Shy said:
My dad had an open casket viewing, but it was closed during the funeral.

The same here.

I have been to several viewings that were open casket, and they left me with a feeling of being totally alone. I have yet to see someone like that and think that they look anything like they did alive. Maybe it's because the soul is gone and all that is left laying there is the vessel that the soul traveled in.

I have. Many.
Last one was my sister-in-law's. She died in a car wreck.

They never look like you remember. But it doesn't haunt you.

I come from a long line of dead people.

Open casket is creepy. They have people who dress the body, style the hair and apply special makeup. Fact is, the person is dead, and no amount of artistry can hide the fact.

Everything about the whole process is creepy, which is why I want to be cremated. I'm donating all my organs, so I probably won't look too good anyway. Embalming is gross - they drain all your blood and pump you with embalming fluid to "preserve" you. Why on earth do I want to be preserved?! - and possibly with bad hair and makeup? NO WAY :D

I dont like open caskets because it seems to be the last thing burned into my mind that I actually remember about the person. So when I do go to them I just dont look.

Top Bottom