Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Ever been to an open casket funeral? (to open, or not open? That is the question)

When I was little I remember going to one of my grandpa's funeral. I looked in at him and could just barel see some staple like shiny objects on the inseide of his mouth. I imagine they were to keep his mouth shut.

Imagine how death breath smells?

FitFossil said:
Open casket is creepy. They have people who dress the body, style the hair and apply special makeup. Fact is, the person is dead, and no amount of artistry can hide the fact.

Everything about the whole process is creepy, which is why I want to be cremated. I'm donating all my organs, so I probably won't look too good anyway. Embalming is gross - they drain all your blood and pump you with embalming fluid to "preserve" you. Why on earth do I want to be preserved?! - and possibly with bad hair and makeup? NO WAY :D
I'm a mortician and I could really get this thread rockin and rolling...embalming is mainly to arrest the decomp process and sanitize so that there may be a viewing..we are quite good at preparing the deceased and giving a natural appearance

I'm with the others. An open caskey is creepy. The person is off colour cause their dead and it gives me the creeps.

it's scary shit.........

couple of my friends were fucked up for awhile after a kid we knew died after drinking too much...seeing his body in an open casket was really surreal.

been a busy weekend for me..2 regular old women die..car accident death this morning..leaves behind wife and 3 sons..earlier had a late 20s guy hang himself,leaves behind wife and 4 children..tell you what though,this business has taught me a lot about life and living..goota go back to work now...

I think open casket is not such a good idea. It's hard as it is for people to know their loved ones are gone...
Why not keep the last memory of that person in your mind alive and smiling, rather than the one laying lifeless in the casket.
It just intensifies the trauma.

My grandfather died when I was little, he played a big role in my childhood where the rest of the family lacked... I saw his dead body that looked nothing like him. To day everytime I recall his image, I see that face in the casket, I wished I'd never seen it.
I would rather live with the memories of a person full of life, as happy and joyfull as he was, rather than the horrible image I can never erase from my memory...
He never kept his promise, he never made it to my weeding...

When my brother died he had an open casket..
I was very upset and sad beyond anything I've ever experience.
I bent down and kissed him on the cheek.. Cold like a stone.
Ever since then I've disliked going to any funerals.

And when I "had" to go.. I remember people saying:
How good they look!!! How can they look good? Their dead.
I'm going to be cremated now!

I prefer open.

True, they never do look like they did when they were alive, but that just goes to show you that "they" whatever that is, is gone, and only the body remains.

It really helps me with the grieving process to see the person one last time, and then to see the casket being buried at the cemetary.

my family has a tradition where family members who have passed away are brought home after embalming and what not and visitation is held at the house. It sounds creepy, I know, but it has many benefits to the family and mourners. You can hold an all day visitation, and it not at some morbid funeral chapel, people can attend the visitation at your home and not have to be even in the same room as the body if they do not want to. You don't have to worry about the timing and arangments and shitty music at a funeral home. Also if you wish, the body can stay overnight, like the last night that they will ever be there.

Top Bottom