Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

does your metabolizm get faster the leaner you get

N

nclifter6feet6

the more fat you loose, does that mean the faster your metabolizm is. i mean does it get faster when you loose fat. im not talking about dieting to loose fat but when i do high intesity cardio i loose just fat, so i would think my metabolizm gets higher right?

I'm no expert, but I think it is the other way around. When you raise your metabolizm, then you burn more calories (fat)

But just losing fat does not increase your metabolizm. I know people who have dieted and their metabolizm actually slowed as they lost fat.

If anything, when you have more body mass, your metabolizm is higher since your body has to support more mass.

You should put this up on the diet board. I'm sure that are a lot of experts over there that can comment on it.

More Muscle = Higher Basal Metabolic Rate = Burn more calories doing nothing.

Less Fat = Same Basal Metabolic Rate = No additional calories burned unless the reduced fat came with some additional muscle growth.

-Warik

Wouldn't a static LBM, but less fat acually decrease metabolism? Since there is less mass to heat, pump blood through etc. won't you be burning less calories?

Warik said:
More Muscle = Higher Basal Metabolic Rate = Burn more calories doing nothing.

Less Fat = Same Basal Metabolic Rate = No additional calories burned unless the reduced fat came with some additional muscle growth.

-Warik

I would like to add:

Less Fat + no change in physical activity = Less calories burned unless the reduced fat came with some additional muscle growth.

Bullit:

I don't think so. I doubt someone could be lean enough to the point where their BMR is so high that there are no more calories to burn.

GNJ:

I would like to add:

More Fat + Less physical activity = Many more calories around to burn. =)

-Warik

Warik:
I dont know if u understood my post (maybe I didnt write it clearly).
But........
If a person goes from a weight of 180, with LBM of 150 to a weight of 160 with an LBM of 150 then he has 20 less pounds of 'stuff' for his body to maintain.
Even though its fat it still needs to be heated, blood must circulate through it, cells must be maintained etc...

Therefore, it seems to me, that the BMR would decrease since there is less 'stuff' to maintain.

Does this make any sense? I'm just guessing though, cuz I really have no idea.

You were and are correct, Bullit. That was the point I was trying to make, but in the terms that Warik used.

I believe there are insulin sensitivity issues in people who carry a large amount of adipose tissue. Also I have to wonder if there is not a difference lb. for lb. as far as kcal burning goes in trained muscle vs. untrained muscle tissue.

Top Bottom