Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Do different brands of plates differ in actual weight?

MP5

Banned
Just wondering. I finally hit the gym today and worked chest after almost 2 weeks of not lifting. I cannot remember the brand of their plates (They weren't Ivanko) but I was toying with the weight like it was nothing. I figured I would be weak, but that was not the case. Do you think a 45 is absolutely 45 pounds for every company or does it vary, perhaps certain brands are only allowed in power-lifting type meets (I don't know much about p-lifting). Either that or I was well rested. kind of funny, I had a mild case of food poisoning last night too so all signs should have pointed at a weak day in the gym, but that was not the case.:confused:

In my gym there are 3 kinds of plates the ones we call rough cuts are more than 45lbs we weighed them at 471/3 lb the others are on the money especially the york plates so i use them...................RADAR

You will have to pay attention to the kilograms. Some plates are 20 kilos or 44 pounds. It is 2 pounds but it may make a difference.

Also the age of the plates will make a difference. The older ones will be lighter due to mass loss.

20.4 kilo on the side is 45. Yorks are always on the money.

they are brand new, and they definately said 45lbs on them. My friend had some 44's before and these were definately 45's. They weren't York, I am wanting to say "standard" was the brand?:confused:

The thing that I have found differs the most is the bar. Some bars at my gym are 37.5, 43.5, 50 lbs. This can make a difference. I try to use the same bar all the time. The 50 lbs bar is what I use for squats, it has two ext caps on the ends. It's difference in diameter is noticeable as well. I think it is like that in most gyms.

Top Bottom