Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

This could explain why people 26&younger all feel so scorned and why we bitch so much

bran987

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/10/01/60minutes/main646890.shtml

apparently it's part of our generation.

Excerpt from part of this article about Echo Boomers

"They are more protected," says Howe. "They regard themselves as collectively special, because of the time in which they were raised."

Why do they consider themselves special?

"Because they came along at a time when we started re-valuing kids. During the '60s and '70s, the frontier of reproductive medicine was contraception," says Howe. "During the '80s and beyond, it's been fertility and scouring the world to find orphan kids that we can adopt. ...The culture looked down on kids. Now it wants kids; it celebrates them."

Echo boomers are the most watched-over generation in history. Most have never ridden a bike without a helmet, ridden in a car without a seat belt, or eaten in a cafeteria that serves peanut butter.

"Sometimes, they don't know what to do if they're just left outside and you say, 'Well, just do something by yourself for a while,'" says Howe. "They'll look around stunned, you know, 'What are we supposed to do now?'"

They're hovered over by what college administrators call "helicopter parents." Protected and polished, they are trophy children in every sense of the word.

"Everyone is above average in our generation," says Summers.

"Everybody gets a trophy at the end of the year. It's something you're used to," adds Gissing. "And you have the rows of trophies lined up on your windowsill, or whatever."

"Parents feel as if they're holding onto a piece of Baccarat crystal or something that could somehow shatter at any point," says Levine. "And so parents really have a sense their kids are fragile. And parents therefore are protecting them, inflating their egos. Massaging them, fighting their battles for them."

Levine, who is considered one of the foremost authorities in the country on how children learn, is now researching a book on young people entering their 20s. He is concerned that groupthink is stifling initiative. And because they have always been rewarded for participation, not achievement, they don’t have a strong sense what they are good at and what they're not.

For instance, when a young person shows up for work at hisor her first job, what do they expect and what are they finding?

"They expect to be immediate heroes and heroines. They expect a lot of feedback on a daily basis. They expect grade inflation, they expect to be told what a wonderful job they're doing," says Levine.

"[They expect] that they're gonna be allowed to rise to the top quickly. That they're gonna get all the credit they need for everything they do. And boy, are they naive. Totally naive, in terms of what's really gonna happen."

Levine says that is not the only part of their cultural conditioning that's going to require an adjustment in the workplace.

"I talked to the CEO of a major corporation recently and I said, 'What characterizes your youngest employees nowadays?'" says Levine. "And he said, 'There's one major thing.' He said, 'They can't think long-range. Everything has to be immediate, like a video game. And they have a lot of trouble sort of doing things in a stepwise fashion, delaying gratification. Really reflecting as they go along.' I think that's new."

Levine calls the phenomenon visual motor ecstasy, where any cultural accoutrement that doesn't produce instant satisfaction is boring. As echo boomers grow up, they'll have to learn that life is not just a series of headlines and highlight reels.

But this may be something that, for now, echo boomers can deal with.
"What would you call your generation?" Buckingham asked Scott, one of her focus group participants.

"Perfect," he says, laughing.

Re: This could explain why people 26&younger all feel so scorned and why we bitch so

A liberated mind would not think or expect in such manners. It has some merit for the typical.

NON-PLATINUM MEMBER

They nailed you guys right in that article

Re: This could explain why people 26&younger all feel so scorned and why we bitch so

havoc said:
A liberated mind would not think or expect in such manners. It has some merit for the typical.

NON-PLATINUM MEMBER

TRUE

its sad i shoudnt even post on this thread

i didnt even read that long assed post, im not 26 and younger:(

i dont know if im a helicopter mom

should i read it? I quit reading long assed posts when certain members started making long threads about politics.. i guess im afraid youll sneak something in about politics and id have to kick ur ass

SoKlueles said:
i didnt even read that long assed post, im not 26 and younger:(

i dont know if im a helicopter mom

should i read it? I quit reading long assed posts when certain members started making long threads about politics.. i guess im afraid youll sneak something in about politics and id have to kick ur ass

no no no
it's about parenting and your kids

oh ok
i dont have kids in their 20s im just 34, however, i have a 13 year old that if his mouth gets any smarter, his teeth are gonna be in his shoes

the article is about kids born from late 70's to 1995

actually it's kind of funny, nobody under 26 posted on this thread. actually I don't know how old havoc is

Top Bottom