Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Cheap Gas vs. "Name Brand" gas

W

Warik

I've always pumped gas at stations like Shell and the Exxon/Mobils, but they are seriously starting to rip me off while stations like Citgo and Marathon offer premium gas for cheaper than Shell+Exxon/Mobil offer regular. Any clue as to why these are so cheap and as to whether or not I'd really be paying for the same gas?

-Warik

It all has to do with overhead.

Why is the storebrand less expensive than the namebrand? Because of overhead = packaging, advertising, etc. True, there are some namebrands that are a better quality, so even though you are paying more it is a better value. However, the only way to find out it to give them both a try. Will your friends KNOW that you are putting "Brand X" in your gas tank? Well, if you have a knocking sound, run-on and a bad odor emitting from your car then yes, they will know. But believe it or not I have had this experience from SHELL. Not all Shell stations, only one of them. Obviously I stopped going there.

All the gas stations are privately owned so if the owner is going to rip you off by "fixing" the pump or watering down the gas you won't know it until you try it. And even when you do, what consequences will he suffer? Are you going to call 20/20 and have them investigate the station on hidden camera? If the owner is unscrupulous his profit margin will not decrease as most people will never catch on to what he is doing so there are no rammifications to his behavior.

Warik: remember, they get their gas from the same sources. The private owner is not brewing his own stuff. It's just like buying a "no name" pizza instead of Brand Name at the grocery store. tastes the same.

I make it a point to go into the store and ask when the filling truck came last. This way I can be sure whether or not there is much trash and sediment particles stirred up in the tanks. I have no idea if that's what can actually happen or not but I heard it from someone else. Seemed like good adivce I guess.

BackDoc said:
I make it a point to go into the store and ask when the filling truck came last. This way I can be sure whether or not there is much trash and sediment particles stirred up in the tanks. I have no idea if that's what can actually happen or not but I heard it from someone else. Seemed like good adivce I guess.

I used to work at a gas station. The owner had the pickups placed like 12" above the bottom of the tank so when we "ran out" there was still 12" in the bottom of the tanks and you weren't getting the bottom crud.

However this was all academic because integral to each pump was a high efficiency filter that looked like an oil filter, through which all the gas would flow. And these were OOOOOOLD style pumps, the kind with the rotating white numbers on black rollers. TO change the price I actually had to take the covers off and reset some doohickeys.

I am sure the new pumps have even better filtration. Plus you have a pickup screen in your fuel tank and a fule filter.

As a side note the station used to be a private station. My boss sold Shell gas. So the unbrabded gas is some random brand of gas, they just aren't allowed to advertise.

As a final note Citgo gas is really good gas. I don't know why it's cheaper.

JC

joncrane said:

As a final note Citgo gas is really good gas. I don't know why it's cheaper.

JC

Overhead. The same reason that generic drugs are much less expensive than the name brand. The active ingredient is the same but there is no fancy packaging or advertising costs involved.

When is the last time anyone saw a Citgo commercial? Doesn't mean that the product is of an inferior quality.

Shoot, thank goodness the grocery stores caught on and started putting some cartoon characters on thier product brands. MOST of the store brand products are actually THE IDENTICAL product of the name brand. They are packaged differently and there is no advertising costs involved so that is why the cheaper price.

The only way to find out is to try for yourself.

Conversely, if you DO go with a namebrand anything if there is a problem with the product 9 out of 10 times they will take it back NO QUESTIONS ASKED. Sooooooooo customer service should always be part of the equation when contemplating purchasing anything.

Of course, this last point doesn't apply to gasoline. LOL

Top Bottom