x
Almost there! Please complete this form and click the button below to gain instant access.
EliteFitness.com FREE Email Series: How You Can Use Winstrol, Masteron, HGH, and Testosterone for a Perfect, Muscular Physique!
- -
We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe.
- -

can you sue your former employer for giving you a bad reference?

Welcome to the EliteFitness.com Bodybuilding Site! Please join this discussion about can you sue your former employer for giving you a bad reference? within the Chat & Conversation category.

Excerpt: i am just wondering if you can sue your former employer for giving you a bad reference, especially if it is not based in any fact, whatsoever.

Read more or register here to join the discussion below...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    At the squat rack, on the bike or right behind your woman

Re: can you sue your former employer for giving you a bad reference?

An employee you fired has given your name as a reference for a new job. You'd like to save someone else from trouble by telling the prospective employer what you know. However, your lawyer has advised you not to give out references.
    If you haven't listened to that advice before, you'd better start listening now. For the past decade, attorneys have advised employers not to provide references because a former employee might sue over defamation. In February, the U.S. Supreme Court issued a ruling that gives employers an even stronger reason to clam up. The ruling effectively extends the reach of federal anti-discrimination laws to former employees, who may now sue you over a bad reference by claiming your motive was retaliation.

http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/...227330,00.html
    Last edited by Dial_tone; 27-Aug-2004 at 12:00 AM.
    "Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response was there anything that could even be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

Intel Core i7-2600K | Corsair Hydro H80 CPU Cooler | ASUS P8Z68-V board | Corsair Obsidian 650 case | CORSAIR Pro HX650 | CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB DDR3-1866 | GIGABYTE Radeon HD 6870 1GB | Intel 510 120GB SSD | WD Green 640GB | Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM LED | Ubuntu Linux

Yah sure why not? go for it.

Definately start talking to some lawyers...if a bad reference cost you a job, you definately have a monetary claim. Hit em' up!

I like when everything is fair. It's my strict position in life. It also concerns my job at unique essay writing service. I always try to help people, but when somebody wrong he or she should be responsible for this.

Hmm seems like this one's been bumped up. Anyway, I guess when the bad reference isn't truthful and it's done just to destroy your image... start talking to your lawyer and I guess there's a case you can file.

I know this has been viewed in a while but I remembered the thread upon encountering this article and might be beneficial to others in the same situation. According to it, you can claim damages in case a former employer gives you bad reference. The difficulty lies in proving that this was actually the case and that it was used to decide against your employment, but in case you have sufficient evidence, I see no reason why you shouldn't.

I think you can file a libel case against your former employer.

Yes you can if there is a need. I worked as a Customer Support in software compnay and had some disagreements so they mentioned some negatvie reviews regarding me anyway a realestate agency which sells condos hired me on probation and decided to test me rather than beleving in my experience letter, so my former company was inches away of getting sued if my current company didn't hired me.