Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Can an employer do this?

gonelifting

Elite Mentur
EF VIP
I know they can do anything I guess but How fair is it?

My wife is a therapist for a company that just recently got bought out. (the day after she was hired they told her) lol

They`re changing a bunch of things, She has to work 8 hours and show 480 minutes of actual therapy!!! EVERY DAY. What about paperwork comute to and from rooms, phone calls etc. etc. the list is a mile long. UNLESS YOU COMMIT FRAUD it`s highly unlikely to do that.

Anyway, that`s not the real complaint here. They now have her leaving the facility to go to another one that they own that could be 1/2 hour to over an hour drive, Depending on where it`s needed. The kicker is They DON`T PAY HER for the commute. So she could drive for 3 hours round trip and get paid for 5 hours that day. Is that fair or LEGAL for that matter?

They send her to other facilities whenever there is`nt 480 minutes of therapy at the particular place she`s at.

Note there are jobs where you can travel like this and get paid more money, but she chose this one where it`s stable and stayed in one place. lol

There`s definately something wrong with this.

typically yes they can - depends on the state but usually no issues.

Could also be a ploy to get shitbags to jump ship before any transition. it;s a lame tactic but seen it before.

MattTheSkywalker said:
typically yes they can - depends on the state but usually no issues.

Could also be a ploy to get shitbags to jump ship before any transition. it;s a lame tactic but seen it before.

NJ, I`m sure it IS legal but when you have a full time job and you have to commute from one facility to another, It`s on YOUR time? You get 5-6 hours in an 8 hour day?

I told her what if you stopped at the mall on the way to another facility and took 2 hours instead of 45 minutes? What would they tell you? Can they complain? Why? They`re not paying you for that time. Why should they complain?

You then become a subcontractor or something, Not an employee.

I can't charge my company for travel time to the airport on the way out
OR
Travel time from the airport to the hotel and back again.

I can charge them for time in the air, layovers and waiting for flight departures..

It is the companys policy...
In her case, it is legal, just not nice..

Y_Lifter said:
I can't charge my company for travel time to the airport on the way out
OR
Travel time from the airport to the hotel and back again.

I can charge them for time in the air, layovers and waiting for flight departures..

It is the companys policy...
In her case, it is legal, just not nice..

I can understand that. She does`nt expect to be payed for commute to work from home, or her commute home from work, But if she`s at work where they hired her for a 40 hour/ week job, They tell her at noon to go to another facility and it`s an hour away to punch out? then punch in when she gets there? Then come back and do the same thing? lol She could work 8 hours that day in 11 hours, Which she does`nt do, She would just have 5 hours registered that day. But was hired for a full time 40hour/week job.

I do get to charge travel time if I am asked to drive to another facility for a meeting etc..

Again, it comes down to charge policy..

Does the new owners have a feedback mechanism she can
sugguest this thru ?

Y_Lifter said:

Does the new owners have a feedback mechanism she can
sugguest this thru ?

Yes it`s called QUITTING. lol

Not trying to be an ass bro. I do appreciate the feed back. Just frustrated. Hate to see the wife getting kicked around like that.

All four of her cooworkers including her boss are looking elsewhere for work. They will find it becuase it`s an in demand market for them right now, Sign on bonuses etc.

That`s the way it goes when you don`t take care of your employees. Our benefits have`nt even kicked in yet. lol and She`s looking for another job..

Thanks again for the feedback

Something that has to be answered here is liability. What happens if she has an accident driving between facilities? She's doing a company activity so the other person might sue the company instead. If she's a representative of the company during this commute I would think she should be paid for it, although they might say mileage only.

Someone needs to speak up as policies can change if the company is worth a damn..

If they don't want to change, I'd leave as well..

One of her coworkers went 45 minutes to another place, worked for 1/2 an hour and came back It took him 2 hours total, He got payed 1/2 hour`s pay for those 2 hours. lol How can you make a living like that in an 8 hour day? lol

Top Bottom