Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Callling all computer Gurus Sun/Unix question

Torch

I am new to Sun

Here is my problem:

There server is still powered on and then bam we lose connectivity to the internet (runs our firewall). I cant ping it or telnet to it. The monitor goes into sleep mode and I cant wake it up by moving the mouse around etc so I cant login. The only thing I have done is reboot it, then it comes back online. I had to do this 2x in the past 2hrs.

Anyone know what could be the problem? Also how do I change the settings so the monitor does not go into sleep/powersave mode?

Thanks

do you have a laptop? you can plug into the back via a serial type cable and see what's going wrong. There are also log and dump files you need to check and see there are any messages in those log files that may tell you what the problem is. Obviously there is a problem if you're losing connectivity, it might be related to the monitor issue.

check ou tthe bios on that machine - it sounds like it has a sleep mode enabled, which usually is less than ideal on a server.

is it by chance solaris on an intel box? that was an issue in that case - the sun boxes were usually a little better about it.

also, sun has an excellent help desk system - but if I recall it is $$

How do I check bios settings, in the GUI or do I have to reboot? It is a sun box ultra 5

It's going inot sleep mode.

From the GUI go to Power Management and turn it off.

From command line it's in /etc/power.conf

Power Management is On as a default on the Solaris OS [non-server versions].

The Ultra 5's ship with this OS.

It's a pain in the ass.

Top Bottom