Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Anyone have any advice on training a dog?

saint808

Manic Depressed User
Platinum
or a good website? She is really having trouble with the house training. I have her a crate and i am leaving her in there but she is only 15 weeks or so. Part collie part shitzu.

i would say hire a trainer..if u can afford it...do it for one or two sessions (if you cant afford more) and then do what he/she does...its pretty tough and we had to get trainers for both of my dogs...peace

It's good you're using a crate. The crate should NOT be so large that she can potty at one end and still have plenty of room to stretch out. If it is, put in a divider and gradually make the space larger as she grows. Dogs naturally want to keep their "dens" clean, but if it's really large they don't have much incentive.

You need to establish and stick to a consistent schedule and routine. Animals like and depend on routine. You should also establish a special "potty area" outside and a single command like "hurry up" or "go potty". Doing these things will pay off in the future. It is important to keep this area picked up of old droppings. (Dogs get grossed out too.) Remember, the younger a puppy is, the less time they can "hold it" because their bladder/bowel is small and the muscles not developed. During the day when she is awake, you'll need to take her out at least every hour or so. As she gets accustomed to having a bathroom schedule and gets older, she'll be able to go longer and longer.

Every time the puppy comes out of the crate (regardless if they soiled it or not), take her to the potty area on a leash and give the command. When she goes, praise her highly, play a game, etc. If she doesn't potty after a few minutes, don't scold, but put her back in the crate and try again a few minutes later. The point is not to do any fun things (or feed) until after she goes, and to ALWAYS do something nice AFTER she goes. That way she'll learn to do her business fast and on command. She should be walked again after eating because eating stimulates the bowel/bladder.

I highly recommend any of the books by Carol Lea Benjamin like "Mother Knows Best: The Natural Way to Train Your Dog". They're clear and concise, fun to read, and have cute cartoons. She has a website too:

http://www.carolleabenjamin.com/

This link is about housebreaking: http://www.carolleabenjamin.com/other/HT.htm

Last edited:
Lots of praise when they go correctly. Just plan on getting up each time the dog cry's in the middle of the night and taking it out. As time goes on the amout of times the dog crys and wants out will be less and less.

The dog is my GF's even though i paid for it... and now i am paying for it more and more because she is working all the time. The dog is getting accustomed to the cat and i think they are competing for attention too. I am no dog psychologist for sure.

FitFossil said:
It's good you're using a crate. The crate should NOT be so large that she can potty at one end and still have plenty of room to stretch out. If it is, put in a divider and gradually make the space larger as she grows. Dogs naturally want to keep their "dens" clean, but if it's really large they don't have much incentive.

You need to establish and stick to a consistent schedule and routine. Animals like and depend on routine. You should also establish a special "potty area" outside and a single command like "hurry up" or "go potty". Doing these things will pay off in the future. It is important to keep this area picked up of old droppings. (Dogs get grossed out too.) Remember, the younger a puppy is, the less time they can "hold it" because their bladder/bowel is small and the muscles not developed. During the day when she is awake, you'll need to take her out at least every hour or so. As she gets accustomed to having a bathroom schedule and gets older, she'll be able to go longer and longer.

Every time the puppy comes out of the crate (regardless if they soiled it or not), take her to the potty area on a leash and give the command. When she goes, praise her highly, play a game, etc. If she doesn't potty after a few minutes, don't scold, but put her back in the crate and try again a few minutes later. The point is not to do any fun things (or feed) until after she goes, and to ALWAYS do something nice AFTER she goes. That way she'll learn to do her business fast and on command. She should be walked again after eating because eating stimulates the bowel/bladder.

I highly recommend any of the books by Carol Lea Benjamin like "Mother Knows Best: The Natural Way to Train Your Dog". They're clear and concise, fun to read, and have cute cartoons. She has a website too:

http://www.carolleabenjamin.com/

This link is about housebreaking: http://www.carolleabenjamin.com/other/HT.htm

FANTASTIC advice, thats pretty much all you need to know in a nutshell.

Your going about it the right way. Dogs try not to shit or pee where they sleep so keeping them in the crate will eventually train them to wait until they are let outside. It will take some time though and patience. Little dogs are the worst for this. Once they adapt to it then you will be able to confine them to one room when your not home. Good luck and have patience.

Top Bottom