Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Any network peeps?

Xalthus

I got a problem..

I just networked all my computers together but i gotta problem. Im using an external Modem that goes into a SWITCH, that splits it up and goes to my other comps to the ethernet cards.. The problem i am facing is the switch isnt giving enough bandwith for my 2nd computer.. Like my first comp i can go full speed on the net but my 2nd computer only gets 10K from downloads and such. I know that the switch is supposed to distribute the bandwith where it needs to be. But its not giving enough for my 2nd computer.. How can i fix this?

BTW im using a 50" cord for my 2nd comp.. but i know thats not the problem it says the ethernet cord can give 100MBs through it......

What kindda Internet connection do you have ? Had this problem with a cable connection. What brand of splitter you use ?

Be careful

If you are using a switch and not a router your DSL company might send you a nice little letter stating that you have been using two IP addreseses over the last month and they will charge you for both. I have seen this done and it sucks.

Mitch

Forgot

Have you tested all your computers using the same downlaod and downlaod site, this makes a huge difference all the time. Also what OS are you using.

Later
Mitch

they know im using a switch, and im using win me on my first comp. And im using win 98 on second.. And i tested the speeds of both of them on the same stuff.. second one is alot slower

Linksys routers are among the best and also pretty cheap. Its the brand I used to install for small business. As for your download and upload problems, what is the software you'Re using to configure your netword ?

no software. i hyperterminaled into my dsl and set it up so its always on. And to mess with it i go through Telnet or terminal.. Its not using any software (other then the software for the ethernet cards)

theres part of your prob

When using DSL you dont want to use hyperterminal and telent. You need to get the router, Linksys is great or if you want somethiing a little cheapper get a Dlink. the Linksys is about 100 bucks right now and teh Dlink is about 70 to 80 bucks. Each include a 4-port switch. You could even go for teh Linksys without the built in 4-port switch, it runs about 60 to 80 depending on rebates. The advantage to running with the router is they will act as a firewall and most importantly a DHCP. If you go with this configuration you wont have anymore problems. Using the hyperterminal and telnet is intresting, but more commonly used for loging onto reouters like cisco, etc. Hope this helps. Oh yeah teh Linksys is great at blocking all none wanted incoming traffic, When running the setup you have anyone could get into your computers and have fun, I do it all the time, its kinda cool to see what kind of info people keep on there computers.

Later
Mitch

I gotta cisco dsl external.. i think it works kinda like a router.. But why doesnt it distribute the bandwith

Top Bottom