Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

AntiDepressant Drugs - How?

CipherLock

Feind des Teufels
Platinum
How does someone get diagnosed with depression and then recieve the suitable meds?

Is it just a case of going to family doctor and talking with them?

Go to your family doc first. Tell him/her how you have been feeling. If they see the needs for meds, they will try them, but its a lot of trial and error to find something that works. Took me almost a year to find something that helped.

If your family doc sees a need for a shrink, the they will refer you to one.

Why would you WANT to be diagnosed with depression?

If you think you are suffering from depression the first thing to do is find a clued-up general practitioner. I say clued-up as there is a small minority of GPs who think that depression is "all in the mind" or that mental illness is not their problem and they shouldn't have to treat it. Luckily, these are few and far between.

The doc will ask you some questions and if he or she thinks you are ill will prescribe an antidpressant.

If the doc tells you not to drink, take drugs or take AAS while on the antidepressants, pay attention and do as the doc says.

Antidepressants take a while to work. It will be a minimum of about 10 days, probably longer, before you notice a beneficial effect. After that, I would suggest finding a therapist, possibly the cognitive or cognitive-behavioural kind, as suffering from depression for a long time, like most people have ebfore seeking treatment, tends to lead to thought processes and ways of perceiving the world that lead to being miserable, hating oneself. The pills make it possible to change things, they don't change things byt themsevles.

Think of the pills as like a bridge. You have to drive the truck across. But without the bridge, big problem.

The pills are likely to have side effects for the fiurst few days. These include possible feeling nauseous or off your food, constipation etc. If the sides have not disappeared with a week then you need to go back to your doc and get a different med. Some meds just don't agree with some people or cause a reaction, and there are almost 30 antidepressant medications out there.

Good luck.

blinddeafmute said:
Go to your family doc first. Tell him/her how you have been feeling. If they see the needs for meds, they will try them, but its a lot of trial and error to find something that works. Took me almost a year to find something that helped.

If your family doc sees a need for a shrink, the they will refer you to one.

Thats what i would do

Depression is a natural response to tragedy or highly stressful event. Loss of a loved one, loss of social structure, employment, etc... Sometimes depression can occur spontaneuosly with no preciptating event. Clinical depression is different from feeling the blues. It is characterized by a lower level of neurotransmitters present in the brain, debate rages whether its the cause or the effect of depression. The most popular form of treatment is the use of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, such as prozac, paxil, zoloft. The mechanism is simple and allows the serotonin neurotransmitter to be freed up for use. They take a while to work 1-4 weeks. From my understanding, I havent looked into for a couple of years, I was research assistant for a couple years studying cognitive markers to depression, so Im not up to date all the current theories. They have a very little side effects and help whith mood elevation, if you dont need the extra serotonin, the body wont use it so a normal person would not get a "buzz" from it, only people who have a chemical imbalance would benefit. Most physicians use these as a first line drug so its relatively easy to get and asking your primary care physician should allow you to get the necessary precriptions. Of course these drugs dont work for everyon and so they make recommend others or combinatins if they fail to alleviate symptoms. I feel that the stigma of depression is lousy excuse for not correcting a chemical imbalance in your brain, Lifes too short for that.

Top Bottom